Thread: Looking for a medal

Thanks

Default Looking for a medal

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum so sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place.

I have recently been researching my families past and have discovered one of my relatives was awared a DFC. Unfortunatly for reasons i have been unable to find out his son sold on the medals much to the dismay to the rest of the family.
    I am trying to track down where this or any medals he may of been awarded are so that i can bring them back into the family.

Would anybody here be able to help point my in the right direction?

If it helps I have a few details.
    His name was Arthur E Napier
    He served with 164 sqd and his service number was 156951

Thanks

I've sent you an email with the London Gazette page that gives his citation, just in case you have not seen it. You can probably get a replacement, though it's not the same as having the original.
    Last edited by AlanW; 8th December 2011 at 07:49.

Thanks

Hi,

Try putting a message in the 'wanted' section of the British Medals Forum website, that may bear fruit but try not to get your hopes up too high, if your medals are already in a collection it may be very difficult to source them. Also since DFCs are un-named (unless your relative had it privately named) and it has been split from its group, ie it is now a single medal on its own it will never be possible to re-unite it.

http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

Best of luck,

Russ

Thanks

Thank you both,

@Alan I had tried looking for his citation but kept coming up short so thank you for sending my it. If nothing comes up for the original one i'll look into getting a replacement, but like you say it's not the same as having the original.

@Russ, I've put a message up on in the British Medal forum, fingers crossed someone might know of there medals whereabouts.
    I Don't know if the medals got split or sold as a set, as far as I know none are left in the family so I can only guess they went as a set but nothing to say they didn't get split later.

Thanks

Unfortunatly for reasons i have been unable to find out his son sold on the medals much to the dismay to the rest of the family.

The reason his son sold the medals was to make money.

Depending on the set and what other memorabilia might have been included, a collection including a DFC could be reasonably valuable.

As well as the advice already given, try the magazine "Medal News".

Even if a collector has these medals and might be willing to sell them, the operative word is SELL.

To say the least, for a son to sell his father's medals against the wishes of the rest of the family, appears to be selfish to say the least.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

The recommendation may well be extant in the Air 2 series of files at the National Archives in Kew. There are exceptions, but the majority of original recs are there. Alternatively you can contact the RAF Museum (on line through their Dept of Research - DORIS) and ask for a copy of the Air Ministry Bulletin (AMB). The AMB should give you his citation (note that this is different from his rec, which is usually much more in depth) and some basic facts about the recipient released to the press at the time of the announcement of the award. Very often, wartime press would run 'home boy' stories, so try his local newspaper. Copes are often carried by the relevant local library. Obviosuly the Sqn Operational Record Book (ORB) is a must to ascertain his movements and ops flown. Most also mention awards to Sqn personnel.

If your relative died 25+ years ago (and you can prove it) or you have permission from the Next of Kin, you can write to the MoD Medal Office at Innsworth and ask them for confirmation of your relative's medal entitlement and clarification as to whether they were actually issued - WW2 service personnel had to apply and not all did. This is free to do, but cite the Freedom of Information Act. Usual turn around is a month or so. Finally - and the same rules apply as above - you can obtain his abbreviated service record from the RAF. Follow the instructions on the UK Service Personnel and Vets website.

A replacement - original period - DFC will cost you in the region of 1500 - 1750 to purchse. Please note that all are dated with the year of award, on the rear of the lower arm, for this period. A number of medal dealers have them in stock on a fairly regular basis. A copy DFC will cost you 50 - 100 GBP.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

If you haven't already received it, here is the citation:
    Air Ministry, 20th October, 1944.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy:
    Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Acting Flight Lieutenant Arthur Edward NAPIER (165951) R.A.F.V.R., 164 Sqn.
    This officer has set a splendid example of skill and courage. He has participated in a large number of sorties, including attacks on shipping during which two naval vessels, six minesweepers and a similar number of merchant vessels have been attacked with damaging effect, he has also taken part in many, sorties on which the enemy has been greatly harried.
    Fifth Supplement (LG36756 dated 20th Oct 44) to LG dated17th Oct 44
    In 1944, 164 Sqn was flying Typhoons against shipping targets until Jun 44 when it provided support to land forces during the Battle of Normandy. The sqn continued to provide support to the land forces as they advanced towards Germany.
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Default Arthur Edward Napier

Further to the guys comments,i managed to find that Arthur Edward Napiers DFC and photos ,obituary,press cuttings ,were sold at Auction by Morton and Eden Limited on 18/7/2006 Lot 168 valued at 700-900 pounds ,but actually realised 1300 pounds.If you contact them, they may contact the winning bidder for you ,or put you in contact with them directly.Good luck ,my family found ourselves in the same position as you some years back,we luckily got our relatives medal back at auction,with information from this forum.

Mark

Thanks

Default Arthur Edward Napier

In addition to my previous post the auction catalogue PDF can be found here http://www.mortonandeden.com/pdfcats/21web.pdf

Kind Regards Mark.

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your help.

@Johnny I have searched the National Archives and find the catalog numbers for 164 sqd Orbs. So going to sort out some time i can go and take a look at the Microfilm there stored on.

@Mark Thank you for the information on the Auction, Ill contact them and see how it goes. Hopefully the buyer will be willing to sell the set back to us.