Thread: Sgt. Denys William LEWIS 50 Squadron

Thanks

Default Sgt. Denys William LEWIS 50 Squadron

This man was a Flight Engineer with 50 Squadron. I have just seen his telegrams telling the family that he was "missing as a result of air operations" on the night of 21st February 1945. There is a second telegram dated 25th February 1945 telling the family that he was safe and back in England. He seems to have parachuted out of the Lancaster and landed in Holland but how he got back to the UK is unknown. He was a member of the Escapers Society so I cannot imagine he landed in friendly territory. I have a letter from the Royal Air Force Escapers Society of which he was a member. The letter records he was returned to the UK as a "ex-war casualty" but gives the date of 30th March 1945 as his return to Skellingthhorpe. His fiorst name was spelt as "Denys" and also as "Dennis" by the RAF. He also had his Irvin caterpillar badge and membership.
    I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what happened to him as the family have no idea.

Thanks

Hi there,
    Sgt D W LEWIS, 1836806, RAFVR, was aboard Lancaster LL741, on ops to the Mitteland Canal at Gravenhorst. The aircraft crashed near Helenaveen, 12km west of Venlo, Holland. Six crewmen killed. Sgt Lewis was recorded as "safe", but not specified if captured. Cause of crash not recorded.
    Regards,
    Doug.
    Last edited by deecee; 8th December 2011 at 22:33.

Thanks

Default Sgt D W LEWIS, 1836806, RAFVR

Hello Doug, Thank you so much for your help with that. Now all I need do is get to the NA for the ORB and see what his career was like.
    The family have loaned a huge pile of letetrs and correspondence to me but not much about him. From the letetrs he seemed to be in many pf the old RAF associations and was a frequent attender at many ceremonies across the UK. The Telegrams must have caused some heartsearching.
    When I have more I will post it up here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deecee View Post
    Hi there,
    Sgt D W LEWIS, 1836806, RAFVR, was aboard Lancaster LL741, on ops to the Mitteland Canal at Gravenhorst. The aircraft crashed near Helenaveen, 12km west of Venlo, Holland. Six crewmen killed. Sgt Lewis was recorded as "safe", but not specified if captured. Cause of crash not recorded.
    Regards,
    Doug.

Thanks

Hi,

Theo Boiten lists either Maj Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer of Stab NJG4 or Hptm Heinz Rokker os 2./NJG2 as the victor of Lancaster LL741. Chorley lists him as D W Laws not Lewis but I guess a typo.

He is not listed in Oliver Clutton-Brock book "RAF EVADERS", he may have landed in the liberated part of Holland?

I hope that is of some hope.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Thank you John,
    That is a great help. This was my next task!

Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
    Hi,
    Theo Boiten lists either Maj Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer of Stab NJG4 or Hptm Heinz Rokker os 2./NJG2 as the victor of Lancaster LL741. Chorley lists him as D W Laws not Lewis but I guess a typo.

He is not listed in Oliver Clutton-Brock book "RAF EVADERS", he may have landed in the liberated part of Holland?

I hope that is of some hope.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

I have a copy of the ORB if you want anything from it. There's no mention of his reurn in the Feb or March section, but if you want previous ops, please let me know.

Thanks

Hello, That would be wonderful if you have the time.
    I am trying to get a picture of Denys for the web as I feel he never talked about his wartime experiences and they should be remembered.
    He was supposedly back on ops by April 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    I have a copy of the ORB if you want anything from it. There's no mention of his reurn in the Feb or March section, but if you want previous ops, please let me know.

Thanks

Hi,
    Will have a look through over the weekend, and get back to you via email.
    Alan

Thanks

Interestingly enough I have now found he had a brother F/O James Edgar LEWIS 102 Sqdn. Date of Death: 25/06/1943 Service No: 129357 in Halifax JB834 in action at Wuppertal.
    Six are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial; Sgt Warwick is buried in the Rheinberg War Cemetery. Sgt J.A.Marsden KIA Sgt J.S.R.Ablett KIA F/O J.E.Lewis KIA P/O J.A.Perkins KIA Sgt R.H.Barnes KIA Sgt T.A.Hicks KIA Sgt P.A.G.Warwick KIA
    I have some pictures of both of them that I will scan in shortly.

Thanks

Hi,

Halifax JB834 of 102 Sqn fell to the guns of Hptm Heinrich Wohlers for his 13th victory. He went on to gain 28 victories before he was killed on the 15/3/44 in a transit flight trying to land in thick fog. I have a photo of him which I could scan for you. If you would like it please feel free to contact me on harley.158ATbigpond.com replace the AT with the usual.

Regards,

John.