Thread: Cloete AF Lt (Obs) 31 SAAF 103935V

Thanks

Default Cloete AF Lt (Obs) 31 SAAF 103935V

From "The Men Who Went to Warsaw" and Du Toit's "Heroism Beyond Praise" was awarded DFC and Polish Cross of Valour - presumably for Warsaw Airlift

Apparently was from Kenya (source Impala Magazine 1945)

Is anything else known about him

PZULBA - Out of Africa (retired)

Thanks

Hi,
    Could Sgt.Henry Cecil Cloete be a relation ?
    SAAF service number 31222. (see CWGC site for family details ).
    Alex

David W Evans Guest

Default cloete Lt

My uncle's Pilot was a Lt Cloete who gave the bail out order whilst in a spin off FANO Italy-at 250mtr,and dropped bomb load at 240 mtr and return to jesi 25/12/1944-21 Sqn SAAF both ag's were never found,

Thanks

Default AF Cloete

Cloete isn't an uncommon surname in South Africa.

I read something about AF Cloete a year or so in a SAAFAssoc. magazine ago & am asking my SA contacts if they can let me know.

Could it have been that he & his wife emigrated or were emigrating to Australia ?

Anne .
    Last edited by aestorm; 22nd November 2008 at 17:39.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aestorm View Post
    Cloete isn't an uncommon surname in South Africa.

I read something about AF Cloete a year or so in a SAAFAssoc. magazine ago & am asking my SA contacts if they can let me know.

Could it have been that he & his wife emigrated or were emigrating to Australia ?

Anne .
    Thanks Anne

Will contact you via e-mail

PZULBA - Out of Africa (retired)

Thanks

Default Cloete AF Lt (Obs) 31 SAAF 103935V

Am back on his trail again, apparently left Kenya around 1970? and eventually emigrated to Australia (Brisbane area?)

Have contact with his son Johann

From the London Gazette 15 Feb 1945, was amongst a group of 6 (SAAF, RAAF & RAF) who had Polish 'Cross of Valour' promulgated thus allowing them to wear said decoration on their uniforms

He did 2 Warsaw trips as part of Maj GAP Greindl DFC crew on 13/14 & 16/17 August 1944, Greindl was a Belgian (from the Congo) serving with the SAAF

Greindl's DFC dates from LG of 5 Feb 11943 whilst serving with 12 Squadron SAAF

In the LG announcement for his 'Cross of Valour', Cloete is credited with a DFC, but I can't find this in the LG, can anyone help?

Also could anyone pass on his citation

Thanks in advance

PZULBA - Out of Africa (Retired)

Thanks

Colin
    If you look in the Australian white pages [residential] you will see that there are 4 Cloete in the Brisbane area or nearby .
    One might be son or relative ?

http://www.whitepages.com.au/resSearch.do?subscriberName=cloete&givenName=&loca tion=Brisbane+QLD

I saw this is on google
    SAESI South African Emergency Services Institute Past presidents :1995 - 1997 AF Cloete Johannesburg Deceased (Passed away 20 Sep 2009),
    http://www.saesi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&It emid=69
    There's quite a few sites on google if you put in AF Cloete --including Kenyan gazette

Of course it might be another person, same name ?

Anne
    Last edited by aestorm; 9th December 2011 at 21:37.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aestorm View Post
    Colin
    If you look in the Australian white pages [residential] you will see that there are 4 Cloete in the Brisbane area or nearby .
    One might be son or relative ?

http://www.whitepages.com.au/resSearch.do?subscriberName=cloete&givenName=&loca tion=Brisbane+QLD

I saw this is on google
    SAESI South African Emergency Services Institute Past presidents :1995 - 1997 AF Cloete Johannesburg Deceased (Passed away 20 Sep 2009),
    http://www.saesi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71&It emid=69
    There's quite a few sites on google if you put in AF Cloete --including Kenyan gazette

Of course it might be another person, same name ?

Anne
    Thanks Anne

Using Google (my friend?), found a link to the London Gazette of 23 January 1945 showing his DFC - funny that a direct search of the LG doesn't show this one!!!

Now can anyone help with the actual citation?

Once again thanks in advance

PZULBA - Out of Africa (Retired)