Thread: Night Fighter Claims 29 Jul 43

Thanks

Default Night Fighter Claims 29 Jul 43

Could anyone provide details for any RAF night fighter units making claims during the early hours of 29 Jul 43 over Oxfordshire or Berkshire.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hi Andy,

I guess you're referring to the loss of DZ600. Here's what I have in my database. Do you have the other crewman's name, and whether he was pilot or nav?

Shot down by HK109 at Ipsden, Oxon, killing two. Shot down by another Mosquito nr Benson and crashed at Ipsden 28.7.43 (Air Britain Serials) I believe HK109 was on 85 Sqn at the time, though it later went to 307. The latter unit's ORB indicates no flying that night due to weather.

"What happened the Germans got very canny about us going over in daytime, especially marshalling yards were they were doing their railway, very good at railways the Germans. So they did it at night. What about if we did some night photography, couldn't do it in a Spitfire so Mosquito went over with a big flash, dropped the flash took photographs. Marvellous. This fellow, two sergeant pilots and navigator, they did the job and came back, there was a raid on London, a German raid, so they saw this going on so they flew around London, our aerodrome was north west of London and the Germans quite often would put in what they called an intruder. They'd go on with a raid and do a small raid and one or two intruders would go and fly around shooting things up, being nasty. Of course our night fighters would take off and try and intercept them. Our Mosquitos going around London, of course the radar hit him, this plane's coming around, bandit no IFF you see, coming around and then got a Mosquito Night Fighter on to him and he's following him and the chap in the Night Fighter says to control, "This chap's a Mosquito I know it's a Mosquito" and they said, our drome put on the landing lights and he was just about to come in to land and they said, "I can't take the chance, shoot him down." If he'd been an intruder he could have bombed our aerodrome and that would have been great business, put us out of action for a week. So they shot him down.

Q: Was he killed?

A: Both of them were. Yeah. Both burnt to death. That was, they just couldn't take the chance. No IFF."
    (http://www.australiansatwarfilmarchive.gov.au/aawfa/interviews/248.aspx?keywords=Mosquito)

28.07.43- 544Sqn. DZ600 Shot down by Mosquito night-fighter HKl09 at lpsden Oxon.2 killed. (Mosquito Crash Log)

Name: REYNOLDS, ARTHUR LUMLEY
    Initials: A L
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 544 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 29/07/1943
    Service No: 1112033
    Additional information: Son of Harold and Mary Eleanor Reynolds, of Manningham, Bradford; husband of Mollie Reynolds, of Manningham.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. A. Grave 107.
    Cemetery: CALVERLEY (ST. WILFRID) CHURCHYARD

(CWGC)
    Last edited by mhuxt; 9th December 2011 at 21:07.

Thanks

A strong possibility for the pilot of No.544 Sqn Mosquito FB.IV DZ600:

Name: WATSON, RUSSELL
    Initials: R
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force
    Unit Text: 540 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 29/07/1943
    Service No: 530636
    Additional information: Son of Trevor and Harriet Elizabeth Watson; husband of Nellie Kathleen Watson, of Bedford.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. J. Grave 864.
    Cemetery: BEDFORD CEMETERY, Beds.

Reynolds and Watson, both mentioned as, 'KILLED IN ACTION', in same Casualty List ; Flight, October 7, 1943. pp.406-7. Cas. Comm. No.289.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 10th December 2011 at 09:27.

Thanks

Hi Mark and Col,

I am indeed looking for details of who shotdown DZ600. I saw the entry for the loss in your database and wondered if there was a corresponding claim.

The pilot was indeed F/S Russell WATSON 544 Sqn (not 540 Sqn as stated on the CWGC site). The RAF Benson ORB states it was shotdown down about 6 miles from Benson when the aircraft was returning home in the early hours of 29th July and both squadron and station ORBs state DZ600 was bought down by a friendly night fighter.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum