Thread: WW1 Medal Card Annotations

Thanks

Default WW1 Medal Card Annotations

Dear All,
    If Ross will permit me to sneak this one in by the back door (if not, Ross, then electronically "spike" it).
    I have a WW1 Medal Card for a chap I am researching. It records his Ranks when he qualified for the various WW1 Campaign Medals ("Pip, Squeak & Wilfred"). He was also awarded the Military Medal for some act, or acts, "over and above, etc, . . . .".
    In the 'Remarks' box of the Medal Card is written what looks like "Cl.'Z'A-R." (less my 'double quotes'). My man was not RFC (he was, in fact, a Sapper) but does anyone know what that annotation means? Or, alternatively, can anybody give me a QDM to someone who does?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The annotation stands for Class Z Army Reserve, it would be the category that the man was given when he was released at the end of his service. Concerns of Germany returning to war meant that there was a need for soldiers to be quickly recalled to the colours if the war flared up again. Soldiers who were fit enough for further service when they were discharged were often sent to the Class Z Reserve list and would have to return to the colours if war resumed.

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 11th December 2011 at 14:12.

Thanks

Daz,
    Mni tks yr rapid response! Just the sort of info this Forum can provide!! I was (nearly) thinking roughly down those lines myself! Nice to get CVL!
    My man went on to get a WW2 Defence Medal. I can't (because that medal is not inscribed) definitively connect him and the medal - but one suspects Home Guard or Police Reserve may be the connection?
    I will try to find why this man got a MM - but I suspect that may be a "needle in haystack" job? I have, however, enough for my summary.
    I thank you.
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter
    sadly the chances of finding the actual citation for his MM is very slim as they have not survived. If you send me his details I'll see what I can dig up for you. The best bet will be a check of the unit war diary, from my own research the date in the London Gazette is often up to 6 months after the date of the deed. The LG should also state where he was from and a search of the local press for that period may prove fruitful.

HTH
    Daz

Thanks

Daz
    Tks yr offer. Will send PM.
    Rgds
    Peter Davies