Thread: Martinet hn888 , 595 sqd

Thanks

Default Martinet hn888 , 595 sqd

Please can anyone confirm where this AIRCRAFT WAS FLYING FROM , when it was lost on the 21/12/45 , Some reports suggest RAF ABERPORTH , AND OTHERS SUGGEST PEMBREY , can anyone confirm

tia PHILL JONES

Thanks

595 sqdn based at Aberporth at time of crash, moved to Pembrey Oct 1946, but that is not to say it had visited Pembrey on date of loss.

Ian

Thanks

The aircraft was flying from Pembrey to Castle Bromwch and those on board were going on Christmas leave.

They reported a position over the Brecon Beacons but nothing further was heard and the wreck was found in February 1946, south east of the intended track, which might have indicated an intention to return to base.

The crew were: F/O Maurice Davies the pilot and F/L George Horace Hammond who was serving in a ground appointment.

It appears the aircraft struck high ground whilst flying below safety height.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Martinet hn888

Many thanks for all your input , i have been to the crassh site of this one several times as it very close to wear i live , i have lots of info on it , but just needed confirmation as to where the aicraft was flying from again my thanks
    bw phill jones