Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 1943 - 2

Thanks

Hi
    I am researching all the War Graves in Durrington Cemetery, Wiltshire & am currently trying to find the cause of death for Squadron Leader Mark Kerr St. John Carpendale who died on 9th March, 1943.

From the above information - it seems that Carpendale was flying a Tiger Moth when it crashed.
    T7919 (CARPENDALE) "died" on active service; death registered Salisbury, Wiltshire. &

Tiger Moth II, T7919 of No 29 EFTS
    Sqn Ldr CARPENDALE, MARK KERR ST. JOHN () RAFO; age: 49

From the air history website http://www.airhistory.org.uk/dh/_DH%...odn%20list.txt
    T7919 Engine cut recovering from dive hit ground at Braydon Pond Wilts. 9.3.43

Yet I have found this information from http://dunxc2.wix.com/pypard#!1943/sq7zw
    At lunchtime on 9th March, Tiger Moth T7919 crashed at Minety whilst on a navigation exercise, seriously injuring the pilot, P Off RL Martin and his passenger Fg Off DS Fisher. Both were taken to the RAF Hospital at Wroughton. They had hit a tree in the low-flying area and though the aircraft crashed on an even keel, the impact was forceful enough to break the fuselage aft of the cockpit and leave the crew with back injuries, P Off Martin with paraplegia from the waist.

Can someone please confirm the correct occupant(s) of T7919 - was Carpendale involved ???

Many thanks
    Cathy

Thanks

The first posy by Malcolm was asking if Carpendale was on the aircraft, its not a statement that he was.

the further post was pointing out that he was lusted as DIED on active service which generally points to not having been onboard an aircraft at time of death.

probate records on ancestry.com say he died at no 1 Oldchurch Road, Romford.

all points to him not having been on the aircraft. And it was a two seater.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis
    Thank you for clearing up regarding the first post - I thought it was a statement.

I have contacted the other website & have been shown confirmation that Carpendale was NOT on T7919 - proof from extract of 29 EFTS Operations Record Book.

I checked probate on Ancestry which shows he died 9 March, 1943 at Rollestone Camp, Larkhill near Salisbury. (the Romford address was for the next entry below).

Thanks for your assistance.

I am not in a position to purchase the death certificate as I am researching all 227 War Graves & not made of millions :)

At least now I have it clear & will just put on the mini biography that I am doing that he died on 9th March, 1943 on active service.

Thanks

Thats what one gets for browsing on a mobile phone.

The full entry details include, for the benefit of others

Carpendale, Mark Kerry St John of RAF Station Martlesham Heath, near Woodbridge Suffolk, died 9th March Rollestown Camp, Larkhill
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com