Thread: Sqn Ldr Albert Owen Richards - History / Background Information

Thanks

Default Sqn Ldr Albert Owen Richards - History / Background Information

I am looking for information on my grandfather and his time in the RAF. He always said that he flew Spitfires and trained pilots. Where might I find more information?

Thanks

Thanks

This is from the London Gazette:
    Air Ministry, 20th October, 1942.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Plt. Offs. on prob. (Emergency): —
    Cpls.
    5th Aug. 1942.
    1325630 Albert Owen RICHARDS (127239).

Air Ministry, 2nd April, 1943.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    Plt. Offs. (prob.) to be Flg. Offs. on prob. (war subs.): —
    5th Feb. 1943.
    A. O. RICHARDS (127239).

Air Ministry, 25th August, 1944.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.,
    Promotion.
    Flg. Off. to Flt. Lt. (war subs.): —
    5th Aug. 1944.
    A. O. RICHARDS (127239).

No promotion to Sqn Ldr is shown. However promotions to acting rank are not gazetted. His medals will be an indication the theatres of war in which he served. Also if his logbook still exists it will be one of the better sources.

Regards, Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 17th December 2011 at 01:44.

Thanks

Following Terry's advice above, some other thoughts.

I could not find him in the RAF Retired List, which suggests he did not remain in the RAF much beyond the end of the war, although he might have held appointments in the reserves or auxiliaries.

His Record of Service is an invaluable document for telling you which 'doors to open', as it lists units, promotions, roles etc. The details of how to acquire a copy and the costs involved are published elsewhere on the MOD website and seem to change from time to time. I think, however, you still have to be the surviving next of kin or state that you are acting for them - someone else will know better than me.

Photograph albums, letters home, recollections from other family members all add to the picture: is granny still alive and does your grandfather still have survivors from his generation?

These are always interesting searchs and you will find many contributors to this site will help you with service abbreviations and the other strange things which pop up in service records.

Good luck.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hello,

He is not mentioned in "Men of the Battle of Britain" by Kenneth Wynn, which means that he didn't fly operations during the Battle of Britain, which is quite normal considering his commission from Corporal rank in 1942, as provided by Terry. If he had been flying before getting his commission, he would have been either a Sgt or a Flight Sgt, or even a Warrant Officer, but not a Corporal.

Neither in "Aces High" nor in "Those Other Eagles".

Colin's advices are very good.

If you come back with some details such as a Squadron, a campaign, etc... I'm sure someone from the board will be able to help you further.

Joss

Thanks

Thanks for the information it gives a starting point! My gradmother is still alive but this may be awkward due to a family situation. I assume that she would have to give permission for me to get the information from the MOD?

Thanks

Yes, Granny would have to give permission, if required. However, that assumes she remains his NofK. If your grandfather remarried, for example, that would fall to his new wife but then would revert back to his children if his second wife was also dead. It would not revert to Granny One! Some 'legal eagle' will confirm/refute that.

If there are 'family difficulties', a careful and reasoned approach - particularly by somebody who is respected or liked by the difficult party and who can act as an honest broker, will often smooth things out.

Give it a go!

Colin Cummings