Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slightly OT: identifying British Army Unit

Thanks

Default Identifying British Army unit

Quote Originally Posted by David Layne View Post
    For what it's worth, my father was one of the prisoners relieved at Trenthorst. He wrote on a scrap of paper and mailed this message to my mother on May 3rd 1945, 70 years ago today.

Hello dearest was relieved today at I o’clock, was fishing in a lake with a bent pin at the time. Hope to home very shortly. I am very fit and well, have been eating a lot just lately. Cant think of much to say, I guess I am too excited, I’ve gone right off my food. An armoured car came along, gosh were we glad to see it. All my love Walt.
    Thanks David - nice to see this piece coming to life again - hopefully others might spot it and add to it.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Posted (mailed) the following day.

Trenthorst May 3/45

My dearest Joan I shall be seeing you in a very short space of time. We were relieved by the British Army yesterday, and hope to be sent home in two or three days time. I am very fit and well and have nothing wrong with myself at all. There are stories going around that we shall be flown home. All my love, Walter.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

And a few days later.

Regular British Air Mail Letter Baghurst Rheine May 7/45

I hope you are well, I expect you have received my other notes saying I was liberated. The army caught up with us about ten miles SW of Lubeck and since then we have been travelling through’ Germany by lorry, we hope to get a plane sometime this week and fly over, I reckon we shall be together before another seven days are over.

I am very fit indeed, I have had plenty of Red + food during the last two months and have been sleeping in fields and it has really built me up, you need have no worries about my health altho’ a a lot of our fellows have had a rough time. I met Robbie last night at one place we came thro’ he looked really bad but I guess he will pick up after a months leave.

I have just had my first bath since leaving England, you have no idea how marvellous it was, but I feel quite weak after it. I have had no mail from you this year but those things don’t matter now. All my love Walt.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

Thanks

The posts above are from my blog "Wallys War" at https://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

hello David

Thank you for the further updates - do you have any idea where your father was flown back to the UK from, and also where he landed, most probably RAF Dunsfold, and any idea of his reception when he arrived back, by that I mean delousing, new uniforms, pay advance, ration cards etc. etc.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

After a two day wait Wally's group of repatriated prisoners were trucked in convoy to Baghurst near Rheine, Belgium. From there they were flown to No 116 PRC (Personnel Reception Centre) at Cosford.

Thanks

Thanks David

Just my luck to guess the wrong location in the UK - 47,000 former PoW's were landed at Dunsfold, with large amounts also at Ford, Wing and Cosford to name a few.

At present I cannot locate Baghurst near Rheine, Belgium - I can only find a Rheine in Germany, to the left of Osnabruck, and I know that RAF personnel were also flown home from B.118 Celle in Germany whilst my father was still there, before he moved on to B.160 Kastrup/Copenhagen after VE-Day.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

I don't know where Baghurst is either.

Thanks

Possibly Borghorst 10-15 km south of Rheine.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hello Mikkel

You got up early to beat me with that one!! I had been circling Rheine on the map trying to find something similar before coming to the same conclusion as you.

Many thanks - and thanks again to David for updating this link, and also to thank you for the excellent work on the website about your father's experiences both operational and as a PoW.

Allan
    Allan Hillman