Thread: F/Lt John Child

Thanks

Default F/Lt John Child

Can anyone please help with information on this WW2 airman. He was killed in an accident on 3rd September 1948 in County Durham (a long way from his home base) whilst serving with 612 Squadron - which was reformed in 1946, based at RAF Dyce, Aberdeen.

He was promoted to Squadron Leader on 9th June 1944 (gazetted 26th September 1944) and held this rank until his death at the age of 30.

I have been unable to find any trace of him prior to his service with 612 Squadron - other than his promotion date.

Has anyone any idea how I might find details of his war service? He was old enough to have served right through the war.

Thanks

Thanks

Archivist,
    Passed out from Cranwell and Commissioned Plt Off (33435) on 29 Jul 39.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Spitfire XIV TP240

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default Thank you both

Thank you both for your answers. I have had a total failure with this one! I am doing a blog which reports all local air crashes but also acts as a tibute site for those who died. This particular pilot was obviously a bit special because of the age/rank ratio but there is virtually no information on him. There has been a suggestion (totally unsupported by factual information) that he was an Australian. But why bury him in Edinburgh which is roughly equidistant from RAF Dyce, where he served, and Durham, where he was killed?

Help ??????

Thanks

Default Progress

I have been able to find out all he dates of his promotions and where he came from but that has lead to even more questions! He served in Aberdeen; he was killed near Durham; he was buried in Edinburgh - fine so far... But, his family home was in Wolverhampton! He was the son of Dr Noel Child. Can any Wulfrunians take it further than that?

Thanks

Archivist,
    No 'Child' in Wolverhampton BT white pages. BUT 4 in Birmingham!! Might be related? (close enough for govt work anyway!!!). Our past success rates with 'cold call' fone numbers is somewhere in the 25-33% range. BUT - if you get a good contact, then historical riches beyond the Dreams Of Creosote have been known to appear!!! Give 'em a try!! They can only tell you go forth and multiply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!