Thread: Parachute escapes

Thanks

Default Parachute escapes

I have located a reference to Ginger Lacey having baled out nine times during his service life. Has anyone any refences to any other numbers of parachute escapes clocked up like this or indeed able to confirm the reference as correct in relation to the famous Ginger Lacey.

Any input to this subject will be of interest to me, many thanks.
    Colin.

Thanks

Colin,

This may sound rather weird, but are you sure you are not getting 'Ginger' Lacey mixed up with 'Algy' Lacey - who was Biggles cousin!!??

Ginger Lacey certainly abandoned aircraft on several occasions but I could not find a definitive number quoted in his obituary. I did a quick trawl through the www and there are a number of articles about Ginger Lacey, including a lengthy interview.

An account I like about him was during his time in Borneo (1965ish), he was a fighter controller. A story came out linking him with Adolf Galland and the comment was made that Ginger was a flight lieutenant (he had only been acting squadron leader during the war) but Galland was a full general and how could that be? The MOD reply stated something like: 'Flt Lt Lacey has been serving in Borneo, where promotion is very slow'! This made all his mess mates feel much better and might account for why I was never an air marshal - but I doubt it!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin.

No definitely Ginger Lacey, I located a quote that he escaped by parachute at least 9 times which appears to be a rather high number of events. Aces High gives two accounts in his operational history.