Thread: W/O B.C.J. Calnan - PoW or not?

Thanks

Default W/O B.C.J. Calnan - PoW or not?

Hi all,
    W/O B.C.J. Calnan was shot down by flak 20/04/1945, Typhoon RB233, 181 Sqn. He bailed out south of Schwarzenbek, Germany, cca 25miles of Hamburk and suffered two broken arms and a broken leg. He was picked up by a German army patrol and taken to a German Army Wermacht hospital, where he was “treated quite well.” /http://www.scradmin.org/courier/courier_2007_3.pdf)
    Was he an official prisoner of war or not?
    In the AIR 78 there is the name of Bernard Charles Joseph Calnan (1319612), but elsewhere he is as Brian Calnan. Is Brian an equivalent of Bernard?
    Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

First, Bernard and Brian and not names which are alternatives one for the other.

I have checked Thomas and Shores book: "The Typhoon and Tempest Story" and W/O Calnan is recorded as a POW. However, given that he was shot down just a few weeks before the war's end, I suspect that there would have been a serious breakdown in the usual standards of administration in Germany. Whether Calnan was actually registered as a POW by the Germans and his details passed to the 'Protecting Power' I don't know. It might be that he was recorded as 'Missing' but retrieved by the allies from a hospital, rather than released from a POW camp - what does AIR 78/ say?

I would say that if he was in the enemy's custody, then he was a POW.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,

Absolutely right. If The Other Side has you in custody then you are, by my lights "de facto" a PoW. Whether or not you have jumped through the Geneva Convention hoops to become "de jure" a PoW is irrelevant!!
    But we pick nits? However, it is fun to so do!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Colin and Peter thank you very much for your replies.
    Happy New Year
    Mojmir