Thread: Rhodesia Air Training Group 1940 to 1942

Thanks

Default Rhodesia Air Training Group 1940 to 1942

A researcher who is helping me with a piece of work, is having difficulties finding the RAF Forms 540 for the Elementary and Service Flying Training Schools based in Rhodesia in the period 1940 to 1942. These were: 25 to 28 EFTS, 24 B&GS and 20 to 23 SFTS. In essence, she cannot find a reference to them in the National Archives catalogue. I understand that there have been some issues with the online catalogue. Please can anybody help with pointers to the appropriate AIR series files?

For my part, I am finding that not all serious aircraft accidents in Rhodesia have Forms 1180 filed in the microfilm records at Hendon. In consequence, I have about two dozen trainees and instructors who I know to have been killed in training accidents but I cannot find the aircraft involved. Is there a ‘Rhodesia Expert’ somewhere out there who can help me with this problem? The aircraft are principally; Tiger Moths, Harvards, Oxfords and Ansons. I have exhausted searches of the Air Britain registers and various ‘type specific’ volumes.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin,
    Grasping at straws!
    In mid/late 1941 the RAF issued two blocks of Enlistment numbers for Rhodesia/South Africa (see below).
    If Wg Cdr Jim Routledge is on the circuit he might just be able to tell you what was going on out there at that time. A lot of Rhodesian Met Officers came to UK at around that time also.
    Bang the woodwork a bit harder!!! Something may fall out!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

710061 to 710999 710446 Nov 1941 Rhodesia for local enlistments
    711000 to 711999 711061 Jun 1941 Rhodesia for South Africans
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!