Thread: No.9 Squadron and Tirpitz

Thanks

Default No.9 Squadron and Tirpitz

Help wanted ! I should like to know the identies of RCAF personnel who were in the crews of No.9 Squadron during attacks on Tirpitz, September-October-November 1944. Can anyone (a) supply names or (b) direct me to an appropriate publication or website ?

Thanks

Hugh,
    Sorry, no service numbers in ORB......

15th Sept.....
    P/O J.M. Gran.
    Sgt A.M Holmes.
    F/Sgt J.W. Singer.
    F/Sgt J.T. Rose.

29th Oct...
    F/Lt G.C.C. Camsell.
    F/Sgt A.C. Boon.
    F/Sgt R.J. Gran.
    Sgt J.W. Singer.
    F/Sht W. Chorny.
    F/O D.M. Macdonald.
    F/Sgt A.M. Holmes.
    F/Sgt G.M. Young.
    P/O A. Brown.
    P/O J.A. Peterson.
    F/O J.A. Carr.
    F/) G.B. Watts.

12th November....
    P/O J.A. Peterson.
    F/O G.B. Watts.
    P/O A. Brown.
    F/O J.A. Carr.
    F/Lt G.C. Camsell.
    F/Sgt R.J. Gran.
    F/O C. Newton.
    F/Sgt R. Flynn.
    F/Sgt R.S. Stevens.

Ranks and names as written in ORB.
    Last edited by AlanW; 2nd January 2012 at 08:33.

Thanks

Default 9 Sqn ORB's

Hi Hugh

The IX Sqn ORB's are available online (from memory they were on the IX Sqn Association website?). They're pretty big and take a while to download, but the details you want should be there.

Happy New Year

Ian

Thanks

I am very much indebted to Alan and Ian. Thank you both.

Alan, I can probably identify more fully most of the names you gave, but, lacking service numbers, it would help immensely if you could provide me the crew positions ("Nag, nag, nag, Halliday is never satisfied !"

On-line access to the ORB appears to be available to paid-up members of the IX Squadron Association. I have no objections to paying an Associate Membership fee, but have some questions. One is the matter of sponsorship - "Associate members or 'friends' of IX Squadron Association may be nominated by any full member." Being "off-shore", a non-veteran and currently not knowing any full member, this leaves me in a "Catch 22" position.

The sum of five pounds for an annual membership is entirely reasonable - so reasonable that I wonder if there is not another fee for persons living outside the UK (I am, of course, in Canada).

The Application Form and Bankers Order form seem to be inoperable for a person like myself who more often deals offshore with Canadian bank money orders.

I would like to address my queries to a IX Squadron Association executive member, but cannot find an e-mail address on the present website (save for someone already a member of the association - another Catch 22 situation).

May someone provide this poor dumb Canadian with some guidance as to how to e-mail the IX Squadron Association, clarify "offshore" membership fees, and the possibility of payment through orthodox Canadian channels.
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 2nd January 2012 at 10:39. Reason: expanded query

Thanks

Hugh,
    If you wish to pursue the ORB via the 9sqdn website, simply click on the "Association Members Area" link in the list of links on the homepage and it'll take you to the ORB download page without having to join up.
    Alan.