Thread: Citation needed, S/Ldr H J V Ashworth DFC

Thanks

Default Citation needed, S/Ldr H J V Ashworth DFC

Gents,

I have Carters DFC Books, however it does not record the citation for the above officer, can anyone help please.!

Kind regards and a Hapy New Year to you all.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

ASHWORTH, Harold John Vincent, A/S/L (76467, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, deceased) - No.218 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 27 July 1943 with effect from 2 June 1942. Public Record Office Air 2/9595 has citation drafted when he had flown 16 sorties (90 operational hours). Slightly less detailed text in Air Ministry Bulletin of 27 July 1943.

"This officer commenced his operational tour in March 1942. He has carried out sorties involving attacks on Hamburg, Pilsen, Cologne, Mannheim and Essen. During his period of service Squadron Leader Ashworth has shown immense energy, courage and inspiring leadership. On the night of 4th May 1942, his aircraft was shot down over the south coast while returning from a sortie over northern France. Before escaping by parachute he made a thorough search from end to end and remained at least ten minutes in the fiercely burning aircraft in order to ensure that all his crew had safely baled out and that everything of a secret nature was effectively destroyed. Although considerably older than the maximum limit laid down for aircrew, this officer offered his services and was accepted as a pilot in the early days of the war."

It is possible that Air 2/9595 also has a more detailed recommendation, but this was all I copied many years ago.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread Steve, but I have a query of a similar nature.

Hugh, is there any reference to a DFC for 174221 Kenneth George WARREN RAF, and perhaps a reference to an AFC for him as well? I'm coming up with nothing in the London Gazette, even though the family state he was awarded both sometime after 1942.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve,

There is no mention of an award of any kind in Michael Maton's 'Honour the Air Forces - honours and awards to the RAF & Dominion air forces during WWII'.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol, unfortunately as I suspected... but how do you tell a family you're not going to include awards in his bio that they maintain their pilot received...?!?!
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Errol & Hugh,

Thank you both once again, a trip to the TNA next week is planned, I will look into Ashworth's award.

Kind regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~