Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/L D.J. Bignell (116429)

Thanks

Default F/L D.J. Bignell (116429)

Hello,

I've been struggling with the London Gazette online for the last few hours. I tried several combinations, with service numbers of officers just before and just after, with no luck.

I'm trying to find the first names of this recce pilot who flew with No. 4 Squadron during the summer of 1944. He survived the explosion of the warhead of a crashed V1, near B43 Arques Fort Rouge, on 15th September.

Any details about him, by the way, would be welcome, or about the Squadron and the other recce units which were at B43 in September 1944.

TIA

Joss

Thanks

Joss, nobody seems to want to play with you!
    Let us assume you have the Surname correct, and the Forename initials also (or was the LG just having "A Bad Day"? I could not make it 'play ball' either!!).
    I can offer you a Dennis John Bignell death Registered Bromley, Kent, August 2003 (District 2221A, Reg No A42, Entry 016). Born 20 Jun 1915 - which would make him about the right age?
    Moreover, there are 4 'Bignell's' in the UK BT residential telephone numbers in the Bromley area. Too many for co-incidence? One might be related? Go for it! Stir 'em up!!
    Otherwise you might have to call upon Dennis in Dublin to help. He can, apparently, make the LG jump through hoops! Good luck!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

gawd lads what will yee do when I'm married later this year!!

pasted the names as they have been scanned with missing full stops as necessary.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35845/pages/90
    Pit. Offs. (prob.) to be Fig Offs. on prob (war subs.)' —
    19th Oct. 1942.
    D J. BIGNELL (116429).

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36499/supplements/2061

Fig. Off to Fit Lt (war subs.)'—
    19th Apr 1944-
    D J. BIGNELL (116429)

And then try the LG indexes, the downloads to get a page number for 1941 - 1942 when he might be likely to be commishioned.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Joss,
    I told you it might be so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Peter

Thanks

Hello

Thanks for your help, it's exactly what I did. The initials and service number come from the ORB and the LG confirms they are correct.

with the dates of promotion from P/O to F/O and from F/O to F/L I deduced the time frame when he got his commission, but no luck at all. I've tried with those who were commissioned the same day, with service number just before and just after, in case the OCR software didn't work out very well. I tried his surname only with a limited time frame in 1942, his service number, etc.... Still no luck.

No award shown in "Honour the Air Forces".

Dennis John looks promising. It might be interesting to try to get in touch with relatives...

Regards

Happy new year from France

Joss
    l

Thanks

Joss,
    After Denniss' nuptials we (and others) may have to consider the occasional floral contribution (via Interflora, etc) to Denniss' Good Lady in order to keep this valuable service viable!
    Denniss - will you please brief your Intended what we are about?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies

Thanks

The AIR78 files lists

a Dennis John BIGNELL 1383376 (NCO number) matching those initials.

Also there is a Donald John BIGNELL 2515925 but that is a later war Enlisted/NCO number
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd January 2012 at 16:21.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

ah hah!!

indexes are your friend!

Searching thru the 1941-1942 indexes, there is an entry for Vol III 1942, Bignell, D J on page 4014, 1942

and lo an behold

•'••••".•Ldgr'fA'cm. •/;»""'' 'rir1 : - - !
    1383376 -Dennis 'John4 dBiGNELi...'(ri64.29),i' i9th
    Apr. 1942

The page is sadly really dirty hence the state of the scanning above, but check out the link
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35704/supplements/4014
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Dennis, you're a king !

Hello,

If both the surname and the service number have stains or can't be read by the OCR machine, where are we going ? I understand you found him through his NCO number, which you got from the AIR 78 index. I downloaded only one such file. It took ages, and I was slightly disappointed by the content, as I thought it would have contained some basic service details.

Thanks a lot for your help, and also for Peter's contribution. This is a really wonderful forum.

Actually, I have "acquired" a girl friend recently, so I don't know how much the time I used to put into this hobby will have to be cut...

Regards

Joss

Thanks

No, I found him by looking in the indexes for the London Gazette, they are viewable from the LG website. As Bignell was a very uncommon name, I found one reference for D J Bignell in the third volume of 1942 index, look it up and see how it works.

Then from the advancd serch page one cane get to page 4014 of the 1942 papers and theres your maes name.

The AIR78 files and NCO number were just incidental.

Don't know why everyone complains about the AIR78, their free and they can confirm names for you, be thankful of something free nowadays. Its not billed as service records, and knowing how difficult it is to get RAF service records, it is odd to think that they would all of a sudden open everything up for free.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com