Thread: W/Cdr RW. Bellaris

Thanks

Default W/Cdr RW. Bellaris

I came across this W/Cdr RW or EW Bellaris as a observer of a couple ops 425 Sq did in the Med. He does not show up in the RAF or RCAF list. Could he be SAAF? Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Thanks in Advance. Richard

Thanks

As the SAAF have used Army ranks since 1920 your man would have had to have been a Lieutenant Colonel, not a Wing Commander.

Dave

Thanks

Default W/Cdr Bellaris

Thanks, Dave. He is mentioned twice as going on ops in Sept 43, both times as a W/Cdr. I am guessing that he is RAF with a possible spelling error in his name.
    Richard

Thanks

Richard K,

A couple of thoughts:

First, I found a guy being flown on operations with a service rank. He turned out to be ex-RAF from WWI but was an MP!

Second, he could be Indian or from one of the other countries which used RAF style rank titles, including Poles and Czechs.

Third, I found a Canadian called BEIRNES (Maton's book).

Finally, if the dates on which he flew these operations were fairly close together, he might have been visiting for operational experience. In this case the Form 540 ought to have at least a one line mention of his presence with the squadron. There is also an off chance that he might have been on the staff of the next higher formation and their 540 might give a clue.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default W/Cdr Bellaris

Thanks Colin for your input. The 540 has no mention of this fellow, but does mention a Brig/General from the USAAF flying with S/Ldr J. Hebert a week later. He is not Canadian as he does not turn up in the Airforce list. There is no mention of this fellow in the London Gazette. I am not sure if his name would be included in there.
    Regards, Richard

Thanks

Richard,

I have found two J Heberts in Maton:

First, F/O Jean Hebert CanJ 16485 (DFC 9/1/45 404 Sqn)

Second S/L Jean Claude Hebert Can C1469 (DFC 21/4/44 425 Sqn)

There are also four Heberts in "They Shall Grow Not Old" but none seems to fit what you are looking for.

I also looked in the Army List March 1918, to test my theory that the man might be a WWI veteran. However, I found nothing which appeared to confirm my idea, I'm afraid.

Colin Cummings