Thread: Aiming Points / Crew Objectives

Thanks

Default Aiming Points / Crew Objectives

I have posted this on other forums (and had a response) but wondered if anyone on here could add to this:

Question:

Does anyone know if it is possible to establish the aiming point(s) / objectives issued to crews at the briefing session for each raid?.

Obviously the ORB's are generic and show, for example, "Essen" or "synthetic oil plant at Leuna" but I was wondering if aiming point(s) / objectives, are recorded / stored anywhere? What I am trying to do is to document what the crew "set out to achieve" on each of their sorties.

I recognise that the aiming points changed during the raid (eg Master Bomber changes), but I am assuming they all set out with a specific objective.

I am interested in one particular crew who flew round 30 sorties [September 1944 to February 1945] for 35 PFF (before being shot down, killing all crew)

Response:

Main Force crews were briefed to aim at particular colours or combinations of marker (or on H2S if blind bombing). This policy was established over the winter 42/43 and is important because it relieved bomb aimers of responsibility for map reading in the target area. There were standard Aiming Points allocated permanently for each major target, but for a given operation, the actual aiming point would be something like '1,250 yards/320 degrees true from Aiming Point B'. This was only of interest to PFF. The information was transmitted from HQBC in Form A, and from Groups to bases/stations/squadrons on Form B. I only have those for the Berlin campaign, but I'm sure there will be members with examples for the period you're researching.

Question:

Have the "standard aiming points" and/or Forms A and B been published anywhere and/or are they readily available at Kew? Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Default Marking roles

Hi Pete

The thread I started a little while ago may be of interest to you.

I have tried to marry the bombloads of P/O Neighbour's crew (156 Sqn PFF) with the various roles assigned to the squadron's crews based upon the marking plan recorded in the RAF Warboys ORB.
    I have not seen the ORB for 35 Sqn so I don't know if the same level is included.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Hello Pete

To expand on my previous thread;
    My PFF interest is specifically of the winter 43/44 period.
    My crew (P/O SWG Neighbour were with 156 Sqn for January and February 1944.
    I have used the Squadron ORB (AIR27) and the station ORB (RAF Warboys - AIR28) to determine what role Neighbour was given for each of the raids they did based on the marking plan in AIR28 and the bomb/TI/flare load detailed in AIR27.
    Hence I can see a progression from Supporter to Backer-up to Primary Blind Marker etc.
    Of course, with the constant evolution of PFF techniques, early 44 may be a little different from 44/45.

Didn't include the link to the previously mentioned thread in my other post;
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?9807-PFF-Marking-Roles-and-Route-markers

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Default Aiming Points / Crew Objectives (UPDATE)

I am trying to establish detailed information regarding the aiming points / crew objectives for the sorties flown by a particular 35 Squadron PFF Lancaster crew (AE Johnson crew, September 1944 to February 1945). I am trying to get lower level detail than, for example, "raid on Essen"

I have been provided with general information relating to how sortie information was handed down from HQ to the various squadrons and the squadron reports back to HQ (Forms A and B, Night Raid Reports, Navigational Routes etc).

Having contacted the National Archives I have been quoted in excess of 2500 for the provision of the 11 AIR25 reports that I am told that I will need ... so I have had to abandon that approach.

I have therefore decided to include just one example of the various documents in the paper that I am producing on "The wartime story of Flight Engineer CA Butler" and was wondering if anyone has any of the Bomber Command Reports (Form A, Form B, NRR etc) relating to the raid on Bonn 4th February 1945.

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by PeteT; 11th January 2012 at 17:47. Reason: UPDATE