Thread: Fl. Lt. (Pilot) A.N.L.McQUEEN where did this man die?

Thanks

Default Fl. Lt. (Pilot) A.N.L.McQUEEN where did this man die?

I'm looking for help, please - Alastair Norman Leigh McQueen.
    CWGC has Flight Lieutenant (Pilot) 129934 - 15 Squadron RAF (Bomber Command)
    Died 9 February 1945 and buried in Brussels Town Cemetery.
    However it has always puzzled me that his family gravestone is inscribed "killed in action in Holland"
    Recently I've had information that McQueen was the pilot of an Auster aircraft of one of the Air Observation Post Squadrons of 2 Tactical Air Force, was based in Eindhoven and died near Peuninger, Holland.
    Just to add to the mix of uncertainty, the Belgian Aviation History Association investigated the crash site of a Lancaster bomber of 15 Squadron (HK620) in the year 2000
    The following text is from www.users.telenet.be/airwareurope/en/bergingen/lancaster_wauthier_e.htm

"An Allied team recovered the remains of eight airmen, probably not knowing this plane had the exceptional number of nine people on board - this seems understandable as the above mentioned Operational Record Book only mentions eight - it seems the debriefing officer did not knew there was a second pilot on board, as F/L McQueen's name is not mentioned. However, after the war he was identified, together with the rest of the crew, except the wireless operator, Sgt A. Dobson. The remains of the crew rest at Evere/Brussels cemetery. The missing airman, 23 year old Sgt Alan Thomas Dobson is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial."

Can anyone help identify in which (if any) Squadron of 2 TAF he served?
    Or does anyone have any other information which would clarify where he died?
    Last edited by kenmorrison; 7th January 2012 at 16:36.

Thanks

Ken,
    May have some McQueen family contacts. Have alerted one of them (he was my Boss on Op CORPORATE!). OC Ascension Island was Capt Bob McQueen, RN. The Daily Mirror's War Correspondent was Alastair(Alistair?) McQueen. Might provide avenues of research? More, in the past, has come out of less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 7th January 2012 at 16:19.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Ken
    McQueen is mentioned in Chorley's Bomber Command Losses Vol6 as being lost on an op to Krefeld on Lancaster HK620 but the crash location is not given. Chorley mentions that there was an extra pilot on board and also a 3rd Ag as the a/c was equipped with an under-gun position, making the total of 9. The Lancaster took off from Mildenhall,which might mitigate against McQueen being in 2TAF, which was Europe mainland based, however the t/o was 0310 and it was during, or at the start of, the Army Operation Veritable and it could have been hoped that there might have been enough light for an Artillery observer to see something of use to the ground forces if mainland weather made things difficult in other areas.That is a very long shot and it ought to have been mentioned in the Sqn ORB
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi, Peuninger is perhaps Beuningen which is a village near Nijmegen. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Thanks

Default Flt. Lt. Alastair McQueen

Hi Folks - Thanks for your efforts so far.
    One bit of "official" information I can now add is that in the Service Returns for 1945 held by the General Records Office of Scotland there is an entry for MCQUEEN Alastair Norman Leigh. Rank and Unit: F/Lt. 129934. 2TAF Comm. Flt. Age: 30. Date of Death: 9.2.1945. Place of Death: Peuninger, Holland. Cause of Death: Air Operations.
    All other casualties on this page of the register have a Squadron Number - is this significant?

Ken

Thanks

Hi Ken
    I think that the 2nd TAF Comm.Flt is the equivalent of his Sqn No.,and I suspect that the unit base was in N Europe It looks as though he was simply supernumary on the flight when he was killed. It is not easy to guess how and why he was in Mildenhall and available to go on an operational flight.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Firstly an apology. CWGC does not include a Squadron No. on the Register (as I said in my 1st posting).
    Flt. Lt. McQueen was serving with 2 TAF attached to TAC HQ 21 Army Group B.L.A.
    He was killed by ground-fire when flying his Taylorcraft Auster. His co-pilot landed the aircraft.
    The incident happened near Beuningen, Nijmegen. (Thanks Adrian)
    He is buried in Brussels Town Cemetery - grave ref: X 28.20
    The crew of the 15 Squadron Lancaster HK620, who died on the same day, are in graves X 28.13 to 19.
    I suspect the various references to McQueen being on HK620 derive from this.
    My information comes from a Dutch family who knew McQueen when he was billeted near Eindhoven in 1945 and who remain in contact with the McQueen family.

Ken
    Last edited by kenmorrison; 10th January 2012 at 10:20.

Thanks

Default A.N.L.McQueen

Dear Ken,
    I dont know if it is possible to find the flightlog of Alastair where does the flightlog go after a pilot is killed do you know this.
    As I thisk it should solve a lot.

Kind Regards,
    Alastair Treep