Thread: Train shooting 9-9- 1944 at Amstelveen, Holland

Thanks

Default Train shooting 9-9- 1944 at Amstelveen, Holland

I am involved in a reconstruction of a train shooting on 9-9- 1944 at Amstelveen, Holland in which not only the locomotive but also two persons were killed and 12 others wounded.

I hope to find in the forum persons who can tip me where to find mission reports of this shooting.

I searched in the National Archives into the war diaries of all squadrons in the RAF No 2 Tactical Air Force, but did not succeed to find a report with Amstelveen.
    Also in the archives of the USAF in Maxwell USA, is no mission report to be found.

My question to you is where to search now? Thanks.

Thanks

The ORB of 84 Group states that no flying was undertaken by 84 Group on 9.9.44 due to bad weather.
    I do not have the 83 Group ORB but the 2nd TAF ORB does record that 83 Group attached trains NE of Arnhem.
    Claims were made for 2 Locos destroyed and 4 damaged.
    The book '2nd Tactical Airforce Vol.2' by Shores & Thomas states that 19 Squadron attacked locomotives during the early afternoon.
    The book 'Fighter Squadron' by Palmer about 19 Squadron confirms that 19 Sqn was airborne from B.60 Grimbergen at 1256 on an armed recce of the Arnhem-Zwolle-Lingen area. The object of the mission was to seek out and destroy locomotives. The squadron shot up and badley damaged three locomotives. WO Bell & FS Abbott were hit by intense light Flak south of Apeldoorn and failed to return.
    Hope this helps
    Andy

Thanks

Hello Jaap,

There might be a fair chance that an unit of the Allied Expeditionary Air Force was responsible for this attack. 172 Spitfires and 16 Tempests operated over Holland during the day.

I can give you some more details, please contact me at hnauta AT quicknet DOT nl. Please replace dot and at with the obvious symbols.

Kind regards,
    Hans Nauta
    Last edited by Hans Nauta; 9th January 2012 at 19:25. Reason: typo