Thread: Sgt Robert Paton

Thanks

Default Sgt Robert Paton

I am looking for any details of Sgt Paton who died on 17 May 1942. His name appears on the Runnymede Memorial. I believe he might have been flying Spitfires and possibly died over France or the Channel

Thanks

He was flying with 86 Sqn at the time of his death and was aged 22 (info from CWGC). 86 Sqn was a Coastal Command Sqn used for a number of tasks including anti shipping torpedo strikes. You might want to ask if anyone has the ORB for 86 Sqn. I think at the time they were operating Beauforts out of Wick in Northern Scotland but Im sure someone with more experience of the Sqn will confirm or correct.

Regards

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 11th January 2012 at 19:41.

Thanks

17/5/42
    No.86 Sqn
    Beaufort II
    AW248
    BX-U

Sgt S M Angelo
    Sgt W A Smith
    Sgt R McI Paton
    Sgt F D L Oakwell

Op: Shipping strike, RAF Wick, Time up 18:09 hrs

Took off with 15 aircraft from the squadron on a shipping strike with four Beaufighters. A/86 had starboard engine failure and returned on one engine. The remainder of formation made land fall at Egero and were about to turn to the south when a message was received from base giving the position of a target to north but with no sighting time given. The formation accordingly turned northwards flying close to the shore and were almost immediately attacked by 18-20 Me109s and a running fight ensued along coast to Feiesten Lighthouse when formation turned and flew southwards again along the coast. During the attack which lasted 20 minutes, 5 enemy aircraft were seen to crash into the sea shot down by G, T, K and D(2) and several more were damaged or probably destroyed. All the 10 Beauforts engaged who returned saw enemy aircraft destroyed during the fight. Beauforts W, L, E and U were seen to be shot down. In addition to the attacks by enemy aircraft, there was continuous intense flak from the shore. The target, the cruiser Prinz Eugen, was not located. Sgt Smith and Sgt Oakwell rest in Sola Churchyard while Sgt Angelo and Sgt Paton are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Many thanks guys, much appreciated.

Fatnav