Thread: No.40 Sqn Wellington - 18/19-2-1944

Thanks

Default No.40 Sqn Wellington - 18/19-2-1944

Hello,

After attacking the Genzano area on 18/19-2-1944, a No.40 Sqn Wellington iced up in cloud forcing the pilot, Sgt T R BRADSHAW RCAF, to bale out his crew. BRADSHAW managed to regain control of the aircraft and was able to return safely. One of those that baled out was BRADSHAW's second pilot, AUS415484 F/Sgt Roy Arthur James PHILLIPS RAAF.

Would anyone know the serial of the Wellington involved, and the names of the remainder of the crew?

I am aware of the PHILLIPS material at the NAA.

Thanks.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th January 2012 at 20:27.

Thanks

Col.

The Wellington X was LN893 'E'. The crew, apart from Tom Bradshaw and his second dicky RAAF pilot, comprised W/O Norman Reid RCAF as navigator, Sgt T Taylor as W/Op, F/Sgt Ian McKenna as air bomber and S/Sgt T Weston as rear gunner. This was the crew, save the replacement of Weston by F/Sgt Les Somers, when they were shot down during a low level attempt to bomb a bridge at Filiasi, Romania, on 7/8 May 1944. McKenna was mortally wounded, and died shortly after dropping the bomb (4000 lb GP). The others evaded with the help of Tito's YNA.

Incidentally, Tom, whom I met in 1988 in Edmonton, Canada, along with Norman Reid, told me he would have bailed out also, had not his parachute, after being handed to him, not dropped out of reach, giving him no option but to land the aircraft.

David

Thanks

David,

That was quick-smart! Much appreciated.

I take it, that Phillips RAAF, had gone on to his own command by the time of Bradshaw's loss on the 7/8-5-1944. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th January 2012 at 08:30.

Thanks

Col.

Phillips is a mystery. He flies one more op, again as second dicky, this time to Peter North and crew, on 24-25 Feb, and then is seen no more. There is no mention of his posting.

David

Thanks

David,

Well! I'm afraid l can't help further with Phillips. I based my info on your 'Sweeping the Skies'/257, and a contemporary newspaper report:

WITH R.A.F. IN ITALY - Australians' experiences.
    LONDON, March 2 (1944).

Flight-Sgt Roy Phillips, of Northam (WA) baled out recently when the plane in which he was making his second trip as second pilot got out of control owing to icing. "I landed quite comfortably." he said.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46786624

I confirmed the date of Phillips' membership in the Caterpillar Club (18/19-2-1944 C.M.F.) in Ripcord Australia/88 and Australian Airborne/324.

He survived the war, to be discharged on 12-9-1945 as a W/O at AF&RU, Point Cook.

Phillips has no A705, only an undigitised A9301 at the NAA.

More work needed!

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th January 2012 at 13:30.