Thread: P/O Joseph Horsley DFC Pilot 166 squadron Distinguished Flying Cross 1943

Thanks

Default P/O Joseph Horsley DFC Pilot 166 squadron Distinguished Flying Cross 1943

Does anyone out there have any connection with the above airman? P/O Horsley joined 166 squadron in September 1943 and flew Lancasters with them until late January 1944 when he and his crew failed to return from a raid on Berlin.They were all killed.He was from York.
    P/O Horsley and the Navigator in the crew,P/O Cornwell, were awarded immediate DFCs in December 1943 for bringing back their badly damaged Lancaster from another Berlin raid on 2 engines (one of which also packed up as they landed).They landed back at base nearly 2 hours after the latest E.T.A expected.The last engine windmilled to a stop as they taxied off the runway.The tanks were completelly dry.
    The other crew members were;Sgt M.S Crawshaw WOP/AG,
    Sgt J.Davies R/AG,
    Sgt J.R.McCourt M/AG,
    Sgt W.G.Morgan AB,
    Sgt A.W.E.Pilgrim FE.

I would dearly like to contact any relatives of these men.Some years ago I saw some photos of P/O Horsley on a website which had obviously been posted by a family member but that site has now changed and the owner has no contact details.I have tried all sorts to find the family but without luck.Its a shamre because I have collectedc together quite a bit of info which I would like to pass on to them.B

Thanks

Default Uncle Joe

Hi I was trying to find information about my Uncle Joe when I came across your message. I do not know much about him except that he was my late father's older brother and that he was killed on a bombing raid over Berlin on 29/1/1944 shortly after being promoted to Pilot Officer. My father often talked about receiving the D.F.C which was awarded posthumously and which prompted him to leave school and join the Parachute Regiment. Unfortunately Joe's medals went to the USA shortly after the war with his sister so I have never had the priviledge of seeing them. I know that his Lancaster 111 AS-Z ND382 was shot down at Fretzdorf and that he is buried in the Berlin War Cemetry. Joe worked for Lloyds of London before joining the RAF and apparently had a unique photographic memory which must have served him well during his short life. He was unmarried and without children but his name is legendary within our family and and any boy born is named Joseph to honour this brave man who gave his life for us. Imagine my pride when I got Bombs Over Berlin from the library and read of his exploits! Any information that you can give me will be welcome and well received by the family

Thanks

Default Uncle Joe

Hi I was trying to find information about my Uncle Joe when I came across your message. I do not know much about him except that he was my late father's older brother and that he was killed on a bombing raid over Berlin on 29/1/1944 shortly after being promoted to Pilot Officer. My father often talked about receiving the D.F.C which was awarded posthumously and which prompted him to leave school and join the Parachute Regiment. Unfortunately Joe's medals went to the USA shortly after the war with his sister so I have never had the priviledge of seeing them. I know that his Lancaster 111 AS-Z ND382 was shot down at Fretzdorf and that he is buried in the Berlin War Cemetry. Joe worked for Lloyds of London before joining the RAF and apparently had a unique photographic memory which must have served him well during his short life. He was unmarried and without children but his name is legendary within our family and and any boy born is named Joseph to honour this brave man who gave his life for us. Imagine my pride when I got Bombs Over Berlin from the library and read of his exploits! Any information that you can give me will be welcome and well received by the family

Thanks

Hello Rana,thank you so much for getting in touch.Joe Horsley and crew were lost on practically their last operation in late January 1944.I will send you a PM.
    He and the crews Navigator Ken Cornwell were awarded immediate DFCs in late December 1943 for their actions on a Berlin raid.They came back on 2 engines which both gave up seconds after they came to a stop on landing (nearly 2 hours after everyone else) as all their petrol was gone.