Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 619: History of a Forgotten Squadron, by Bryan Clark

Thanks

Default 619: History of a Forgotten Squadron, by Bryan Clark

I am wondering if anyone has the above book and would be willing to do a look-up for me, if it is indexed, please.

I am interested to find out more about my husband's uncle, Richard Brown who was in 619 Squadron during WWII. I know he was killed 22 June 1944 in the Wesseling Raid and where he is buried but would be interested to find out things like when he joined the RAF. how many times he flew with 619 and if he had been in another squadron etc.

I have read that the author, Bryan Clark, "also meticulously gathered statistics about every aircraft and every crew-member lost by 619 squadron and many other details about the squadron's activities throughout the war".

Any help would be most appreciated.

JAB

Thanks

I don't have the book nor have I seen it. However, an alternative might be to contact the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage at East Kirkby, who have Lancaster NX611 'Just Jane'.

The museum is set up and run by the Panton brothers and is a commemoration of their brother, who was a flight engineer on the squadron and was lost over Germany. Amongst other things, there is a small chapel with a Roll of Honour.

I haven't been there for a few years but they might be of help if you draw a blank on the book.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi - I have the book - not sure how information you know but the loss of is recorded on page 36 Lancaster LL808 T/O 2329 Dunholme Lodge. The crew had been on the Squadron for precisely 2 months. Do you require the crew member details? it was an 8 person crew (2 Air Bombers), sadly 3 of the crew were killed and 5 made POW. Your husbands Uncle being WoP.

Neil

Thanks

Chris Panton was lost whilst serving with No.433 (Porcupine) Squadron RCAF. However, there are photographs of some 619 Squadron personnel displayed at East Kirkby.

Thanks

JAB,

Your husband's family can obtain his uncle's service record from the RAF Disclosures Branch, details are at http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html. Technically the applicant should be his next of kin, but unless there is a closer blood relative than your husband he could make the application himself.

The record will only summarise his RAF service - when he joined, where he trained, which squadrons he flew with - but it will help you trace his journey. If you have any problems with the acronyms forum members will be only too happy to help.

There are brief personal details on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website at http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2042564. You can also obtain a photograph of his grave from the War Graves Photographic Project (WGPP) - see http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=1395626 for a thumbnail of the headstone. The WGPP is very good and will almost certainly provide a photograph of the cemetery as well.

For details of the operations on which he flew you'd need to visit the National Archives (or get someone to visit for you) and look at the 619 Squadron Operations Record Book, there are two file references - AIR 27/2131 and AIR 27/2133.

Good luck with your search.

Brian
    PS. You could borrow the book from your library - if it's not on the shelves the library will be able to obtain it through an Inter-Library Loan; I've obtained several books that way (including foreign language!)
    Last edited by Lyffe; 18th January 2012 at 17:10. Reason: Added PS

Thanks

Default 619: History of a Forgotten Squadron, by Bryan Clark

Many thanks to you all for your interest and help with my request.

I had found quite a bit of general information on the internet re 619 Squadron and the loss of the aircraft in the Wesseling raid and had details from CWGC. I was most impressed with the very prompt service from the WGPP when I ordered photos earlier this week.

I am in Australia so am unable to visit the places suggested however will work on those of your suggestions which seem as though they would give the more personal details of Richard's service in which we are interested.

Thanks again
    JAB

Thanks

JAB,

There's a used copy of the book being advertised on Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/619-History-Forgotten-Squadron-Activities/dp/1903953510/ref=pd_sim_b_1 for 13.95. Also another for 15 at http://www.woodfieldpublishing.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p155.html.

Brian

Thanks

Woodfield are the publisher so the 15 option is new copy.

Ian

Thanks

Thanks, Brian and Ian.
    I had actually seen those but at this stage would prefer not to have to buy the book. May try our inter-library loan service first.
    JAB

Thanks

Apologies to all for the duff gen at Post 2 and thanks to BillG for putting my error straight.

Colin Cummings