Thread: Air Combats, October 1942

Thanks

Default Air Combats, October 1942

I am in possession of a No.3 Group Report dated 7 November 1942, describing several combats. Crew identification is minimal or missing. Can anyone supply names for the following ? I am prepared to give up the document (rather than shred it) once I have made the necessary transcriptions:

No.7 Squadron - 23/24 October 1942 - Stirling "B", S/L Barrell (other crew not identified)

No.115 Squadron - 15/16 October 1942 - Wellington encounter with a Ju.88 - no crew named

No.115 Squadron - 22 October 1942 - Wellington "R" attacked by Me.109 - no names but WOP killed.

No.138 Squadron - 29/30 October 1942 - Halifax, F/L Krol (Kol ?)

No.218 Squadron - 23/24 October 1942 - Stirling "J" - one gunner identifed as a Sergeant Greenaway.

I have as combat report for Stirling "V", No.15 Squadron, F/L Baigent, 23/24 October 1942 which I have transcribed and will send to whoever asks for it first.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,
    Is it possible to get more details about the combat of the crew from 138 Sqn?
    As this squadron was in fact Special Duty squadron, the bomber raids made by its crews are quite rare.
    Anyway there was on 29/30 October 1942 one Halifax sent to bomb Gestapo Headquarters in Warsaw.
    It was the polish crew commanded by F/Lt Krol.
    I think I can search for the crew details.

Best regards,
    Gregory

Thanks

The report (from AIR 50/297) reads:

No.138 Squadron - On the night of 29/30 October 1942, Halifax II (Captain F/L Krol) was in position 55.50N 07.20E at 8,000 feet. At 0410 hours, IAS 165 mph, course 242 degrees magnetic, above 10/10 cloud at 2-3,000 feet with bright half moon on port beam, Rear Gunner (F/Sgt Mol) observed an ME.110 dead astern, at the same height and 200 yards distant. The enemy aircraft opened fire with one long burst, our Rear Gunner replying almost simultaneously, also with long burst. The enemy aircraft dived, disappeared under the tail and was not seen again. No claim is made. The port control surfaces and the rear turret perspex were damaged in this attack. No evasive action was taken.

Ten minutes later the captain reported a twin-engined enemy aircraft approaching on the port bow. The aircraft passed under our aircraft and then turned to attack. While it was turning and about 600 yards distant, our rear gunner opened fire with three short bursts. The enemy aircraft then dived and disappeared below the cloud. The enemy aircraft did not open fire. No claim is made.

COMMENT: In this instance the fighter was not observed in time for the aircraft to take any defensive turns, but in replying promptly to the enemy’s burst of fire, our aircraft probably drove off the fighter.

Thanks

This was operation "Wrench" aimed to destroy German gestapo Headquarters in Warsaw.
    The assigned Polish crew from 138 Sqn in Halifax W7774 "T" were:
    - pilot P/O Kazimierz Szrajer
    - II pilot W/O Stanislaw Klosowski
    - nav. F/Lt Stanislaw Krol
    - W/Op F/Sgt Walenty Wasilewski
    - A.G. F/Sgt Rudolf Mol
    - F.E. Sgt Jerzy Soltysiak.

Thanks

Hi Hugh,

No.7 Squadron - 23/24 October 1942 - Stirling "B":
    I have a digital copy of the Combat Report. I can send to you (includes names of all gunners).

No.218 Squadron - 23/24 October 1942 - Stirling "J”:
    According to the No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association-site Captain was W/Cdr Morris (http://host.raf38group.org/218squadron/combat19421945.htm). There is a list with 218 Sqn Combat Reports on this site.

Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughAHalliday View Post
    I am in possession of a No.3 Group Report dated 7 November 1942, describing several combats. Crew identification is minimal or missing. Can anyone supply names for the following ? I am prepared to give up the document (rather than shred it) once I have made the necessary transcriptions:

No.7 Squadron - 23/24 October 1942 - Stirling "B", S/L Barrell (other crew not identified)

No.115 Squadron - 15/16 October 1942 - Wellington encounter with a Ju.88 - no crew named

No.115 Squadron - 22 October 1942 - Wellington "R" attacked by Me.109 - no names but WOP killed.

No.138 Squadron - 29/30 October 1942 - Halifax, F/L Krol (Kol ?)

No.218 Squadron - 23/24 October 1942 - Stirling "J" - one gunner identifed as a Sergeant Greenaway.

I have as combat report for Stirling "V", No.15 Squadron, F/L Baigent, 23/24 October 1942 which I have transcribed and will send to whoever asks for it first.

Hugh,

The 218 Squadron encounter involved the squadron commander Wing Commander O A Morris. He arrived on the squadron during the first week of October via No.1651 CU. His first two operations were flown with "B" Flight commander Squadron Leader A Samson. ( Mining laying 10th - Kiel 13th )

Wing Commander Morris was on his first operation as captain on the raid on October 23rd, the crew had bombed the Sampierdarena marshalling yards from 5000ft and were on route home when attacked. The aircraft was W7616 HA-J

Regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 24th January 2012 at 09:15.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

I would appreciate Combat Reports related to these, especially if they list crew members. You may send them to halliday@bell.net. I am curious about RCAF personnel who may have been in the crews.

Thanks

Hugh, have you got my email?

Thanks

Frank, I have your e-mail address and mine is found in my profile ("Community" on this site) but I have received no messages directly from you within recent weeks.

Hugh

Thanks

I have just send you another email.