Thread: Beaufighter 404 Sq Crashes 1943 Scottish Borders & Hurricane Crash

Thanks

Default Beaufighter 404 Sq Crashes 1943 Scottish Borders & Hurricane Crash

Morning All
    Our local newspaper the Southern Reporter carries a story this week of a wartime crash near Ashkirk/Dryden just south of Selkirk in the Scottish Borders. None of the books I have on wartime crashes in this area has any mention of this. The Article says in happened in April 1943 with the crew of FSgt Haley and FSgt Fairweather flying a Beaufighter.

The article aslo goes on to mention a Huricane that attempted a landing on the road near Askirk which was flown by a Norwegian Pilot - failing to land it crashed at Headshaw

A third crash is mentioned at Ashkirk of a "British Plane" crashing in the area around 1940/41

As I said none of these are recorded in any books I have and I am failing badly to uncover much by searching the internet

Can anyone out there shed any light on any of the above

Regards
    Frank

Thanks

The Beaufighter is listed in this thread

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?8197-430414-Unaccounted-airmen-14-4-1943

The story of the Spitfire at Dryden has been discussed on here in the last few weeks as well as on Flyoast and PPrune so Google searches should bring up all the posts here and on other forums.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Beaufighter 404 Sq Crashes 1943 Scottish Borders & Hurricane Crash

Morning
    Thanks for that I've now looked at PPrune and the author of that thread (ElGrifo) turns out to be a guy I worked with on some photoshoots in the 90s! He retired to the Canary Islands and is to blame for me investing in my first decent scanner!!

The thread there seems to have led to the article in this weeks paper. It throws up a number of anecdotes with info that is new to the crashes in this area.
    Thanks for your help
    Reagrds
    Frank