Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F/Lt. J T Hutchinson 141812

Thanks

Default F/Lt. J T Hutchinson 141812

Hello Everybody

I am trying to find information on my father F/Lt John T Hutchinson who was with 138 Squadron.
    I have a certain amount of information already but there is some specific things I am looking for and am not really the best researcher in the world.
    He received a DFC (02.11.1943) and bar (15.09.1944) but I am unable to find any citations for these medals.
    He was also shot down over France and managed to evade capture and I understand there may be an Capture and Evade report somewhere or even a Resistance report.
    If anyone can shed any light on these or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Alex

Thanks

Hello,

He left an evasion report which can be found in The National Archives at Kew (London), in the reference WO208/3314 report 1332. I think you can purchase a copy of this report online, for about 3,50. I'll have a look to check if I may have it (but don't expect too much)

He was a crew member of Handley Page Halifax serial number BB313. Several other crewmembers also evaded capture : Sgt W.H. MARSHALL (report 1332, just following HUTCHINSON's), and John C. TWEED, WO 208/3315 report 1047/

Have you tried the London Gazette online ? It usually works well, using the surname and service number.

No doubt other forumites will give further infos.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss

Thank you so much for the information, I will look at The National Archives now and see if I can get a copy.
    I will see what I can find in the London Gazette online.

Thank you again for your reply.

Alex

Thanks

Alex,
    I have a copy of the 138sqdn ORB if you want anything from it. My notes tell me that i also have Tweeds Evasion report amongst my stack of paperwork, so don't go spending your money at the NA yet, as i'll try and look it up for you.
    Alan.

Thanks

That's really kind of you Alan thank you.

To be honest I had a look at the NA web site earlier and after doing a couple of searches I was not able to come up with anything, I guess I was just looking in the wrong place or doing the wrong thing.

I did find some entries in the London Gazette online but sadly still no information on the DFC citations.

Alex

Thanks

Alex,
    Your fathers report is not available on the NA's online service, Tweeds report is there but no point in purchasing it as i have it here somewhere. Let me know if you want it and i'll look it up and send a scan along with relevant pages from the ORB.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan

I have just sent you a private message.
    Thanks again for the offer of the report.

Regards

Alex

Thanks

Default Published Sources

Other sources:
    'Agents by Moonlight', by Freddie Clark, describes the crash-landing and evasion by three of the crew on pages 159-160. The others were made POW. Worth checking your library service to see if ABM is in their depository or reference sections. Though Ken Merrick's 'Flights of the Forgotten' mentions the loss of S/L Robinson's aircraft (on page 81) it gives no details.

Deadrock

Thanks

Hi Deadrock

Thanks for that information, I am not based in the UK but next time I am over I will see if I can find a copy of the book in a library as you suggest.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post.

Regards

Alex

Thanks

Alex, I presume you have these. You could try PMing Hugh Halliday and see if he has copies of the recommendations,, particularly with a Canadian being a recipient in the DFC entry.
    Air Ministry, 2nd November, 1943.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy:
    Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Flying Officer John Thompson HUTCHINSON (141812), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 138 Squadron.
    Pilot Officer Borden Carrick DENNISON (Can./J. 16008) Royal Canadian Air Force, No. 405 (R.C.A.F.) Squadron.
    Distinguished Flying Medal.
    1004784 Flight Sergeant William Henry MARSHALL, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 138 Squadron.
    In air operations, these officers and airman have displayed skill, courage and fortitude of a high order.

Air Ministry, 15th September, 1944.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards:
    Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Flying Officer.
    John Thompson HUTCHINSON, R:A.F.V.R., 138 Sqn.
    The above awards are in recognition of gallantry and devotion to duty in the execution of air operations.

Regards, Terry