Thread: Don Morrison's POW number?

Thanks

Default Don Morrison's POW number?

Hi all,

On November 8, 1942, Pilot Officer Donald Robert Morrison J/15475 (401 Squadron RCAF) was captured after bailing out. Spending several months in hospital, he was eventually sent to Stalag Luft III.

Is there a chance that I can find his POW number somewhere?

Thanks for your help,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Dear Fox
    I can only suggest that it may be found in his POW questionairre at Kew. Not easy for you to get to though if you are in France. Hopefully there may be someone who knows about "fighter Pows". If he had been a "Bomber" it would have been in Oliver Clutton Brock's "Footprints on the Sands of Time".
    Sorry not to have been any help.
    James

Thanks

Hello

Don Morrison came down in my research area. In the late 70es he came back to visit the grave od Douglas Manley who was shot down and killed in the same air battle. I know I've checked his PoW questionnaire at Kew, but I'm away from home now, and will only be able to check tomorrow. But I'm just wondering whether he had filed one (in the WO344 series at Kew) because he wa repatriated back to UK on medical grounds. Similar cases I'm sure of have never filed a PoW questionnaire for this reason. I'm just writing from memory, checking the board while I'm away from home.

There may be a possibility in Ross' section of the site dedicated to PoWs.

Joss

Thanks

Hello

I confirm what I had in memory last night : Don Morrison was repatriated back in October 1943. A former thread on it, with information provided by Hugh :

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435

Joss

Thanks

Thanks to both of you. Any idea of the individual letter of Sptifire BS202 flown by Morrison on that day, by chance?
    Last edited by Fox; 6th February 2012 at 09:12.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

POW number 42684 as shown on a card at Directorate of History and Heritage, CFHQ, Ottawa.

Thanks

Thank you so much, Hugh!

Thanks

Joss,

I am trying to locate the place where Don Morrison was shot down, as JG 26 claimed five Spitfires destroyed on November 8, 1942 -- two 421 Squadron aircraft and three others mentioned as 'unknown', though two of them must correspond to 401 Squadron aircraft (BS202 "YO*?" piloted by F/L Morrison and BS391 "YO*?" piloted by P/O Manley).

The three 'unknow' Spitifres were destroyed:

- 5 km South of Merville
    - 5 km North of Gravelines
    - 10 km South East of Dover

Thanks for your help,

Fox.
    Last edited by Fox; 28th February 2012 at 10:44. Reason: Misspelling

Thanks

Was he D.R. MORRISON (RCAF J/15475) ? His PoW number may have been L3-42684.
    Regards,
    Henk.