Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Service numbers.

Thanks

Default RAF Service numbers.

This has probably been hashed out more than once, but I am looking for service numbers of aircrew that may not have been commissioned. They all served with 6 Group but none have their service numbers notated in the ORB's. Besides the LG, is there any other way to find RAF service numbers of NCO's that served. A list of aircrew that were demobbed, deemed surplus at the end off the war, etc.
    Thanks in advance, richard

Thanks

Default Service Numbers

Hi Richard,

Perhaps if you posted the names & ranks of the airmen you have on this board, someone may already have these men on file and might be able to help with numbers.

Regards.
    Dave.

Thanks

Default RAF service numbers

Here is a list of aircrew, all NCO,s that flew with 6 group that I do not have service numbers for. All flew ops at the first part of 1943 and possibly moved on to RAF Squadrons. Its also possible that some may have been sent packing ( failure to fulfill their obligations to the airforce).

Augustus.T Air gunner
    Avery.J Air gunner
    Campbell.JH Air gunner
    Campbell.RA Air gunner
    Dickman.WA Air gunner
    Duff.JO/JA? Air gunner
    Farrell.WK Air gunner
    Goodridge.W Air gunner
    Jones.LWV Air gunner
    Ludlow.RL Air gunner
    McBride.GC Air gunner
    Miller.JA Air gunner
    Moore.JH Air gunner
    Norton.JS Air gunner
    Pine.DH Air gunner
    Smith.KC Air gunner
    Brooks.E Air gunner
    Allen.DA Flt/engineer
    Allen.EM RAF Flt/engineer
    Branton.HJ Flt/engineer
    Clark.K Flt/engineer
    Dunville.WS Flt/engineer
    Foster.DJ Flt/engineer
    Harle.G Flt/engineer
    Hayes.WF Flt/engineer
    Jones.F Flt/engineer
    Lee.V Flt/engineer
    McBain.L Flt/engineer
    Taylor.G Flt/engineer
    Vine.WE Flt/engineer
    Baldwin.VE Wireless Op
    Brown.CF Wireless Op
    Brown.FH Wireless Op
    Drinkell.A Wireless Op
    Emery.RW Wireless Op
    Illingworth.C Wireless Op
    Jackson.F Wireless Op
    Liptrott.CR Wireless Op
    Martin.HA Wireless Op
    McNeill.DH Wireless Op

Thanks in advance for any help at all.
    Richard

Thanks

Hello Richard.

Just found this thread and I was wondering if you have any information on Thomas Archibald West, number 1494650, he was also AIr Gunner with 6 Group, beside others. I have some of his log book entries that show he flew in Anson's, Welligton's and Halifax bombers.
    Regards Phil

Thanks

Phil, (and Richard)
    Nothing for 1494650 comes up on the LG. Therefore, ⸫, it is unlikely he was ever Commissioned.
    If you are still concerned with the list of blokes at #3 (above) then, if it is still a requirement, I could quietly work through AIR 78. But the more I use this file the more I become suspicious that it is not infallible. Many cards are out of order. And very many are so poorly imaged that they defy reading (even using the most modern recovery techniques).
    Clearly, there is a necessity for AIR 78 to be converted to an Excel (or similar) file. But the task is immense.
    However, a short while back, a lot of WW1 Cas Files were converted by "crowd-working". So it can be done. But, like most things, it requires sufficient energy and enthusiasm to complete.
    My lawns need mowing. That needs a lot of energy and enthusiasm. I'm 82, and both are very short supply, and rarely come together in sufficient quantity to achieve the aim!
    It could be done!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

Getting back to Richard's original query:

A possibility for Ludlow, RL Air Gunner.

AUS414711 Sgt (WOP/AG) Robert Lanoel LUDLOW RAAF (later P/O) + 29-1-1943, No.467(RAAF) Sqn. Lancaster III ED867 - BCL5/64 - posted in from 1660 CU, 20-7-43.

For Branton, HJ Flt/engineer:

1604002 Sgt (Flt. Eng.) Henry John BRANTON RAFVR - Baled out of 408 (RCAF) Sqn. Lancaster II DS724 7/8-10-1943, Yorkshire (Safe). BCL4/352 + http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/.../43/ds724.html

NB. Richard, scroll down to penultimate entry (Branton), for interesting comment from Rich Allenby.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th March 2019 at 00:07.

Thanks

Wow. Seriously old post. I think I have worked at these names out.
    Thanks Richard

Thanks

Hello Peter,

I've found Thomas Archibald West, number 1494650 in the National Archive AIR78 card index. what does this actual mean please?
    Does it mean there is a service record for Thomas at the Natioanl Archives? I am new to these records so an advice would be welcomed.
    Phil

Thanks

Phil, Hi,
    All this means is that Thomas Archibald West 1494650 was actually in the RAF as a non-Officer with that Service Number (up until the early 1950's if he had been Commissioned he would have been given a new, Officer's, Service Number. After that date there was only a singular Service Number for each person.).
    If he was in the RAF, with that Service Number, then there will have been created a Service Record for him. This records (almost!) everything the RAF ever knew about him, where/when he was posted, if/when he was Promoted, any hospitalisation, etc, etc. These Service Records still exist and have been retained, in secure storage, by the RAF (Disclosures at RAF Cranwell is the starting point). One can obtain copies of these. For the individual and/or immediate NoK you can get the full Record (I think they are free). For others you can only obtain a redacted version (a lot of personal information is blacked-out). These (currently) cost £30, and take about 5-6 weeks to arrive. They are about as accurate as you are going to get. They are full of acronyms, short-forms, abbreviations, etc. You will get several sheets with the deciphers - but not all!! There are many experts on the Forum who can/will assist with decryption.
    The way in is to start with https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records, and to follow the instructions. It is reasonably straight-forward!
    Good luck! If you get stuck, then come back to here. Some of us have experienced most of the problems with Service Records. But not all!! - there's always a new one somewhere!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.
    Just to add a bit more about Thomas Archibald West’s service, he re-enlisted in the RAF on the 16th October 1953 and was discharged on the 6th June 1970. In his “Certificate of Service” booklet from this time it states his previous service was from the 9th April 1941 to 7th January 1947 and his rank on discharge was Warrant Officer (T), temporary. When he re-enlisted in 1953 his rank was now Corporal and his trade in the RAF was now “Airframe Mechanic” not ‘Air Gunner’. He worked on Jet Provost’s, Gnat’s, Varsity’s, Vampire’s and Canberra aircraft. His service number was the same, S1495650.
    cheers
    Phil