Thread: MREU reports

Thanks

Default MREU reports

I would like to access the Missing Research & Enquiries Unit (MREU) report for my great-uncle, P/O V.R. Campbell (RAAF 427063), who flew with RAF 57 Sqn and was KIA March 21st, 1945.
    From the scant info I could find on the 'Net, it would appear that these are difficult to obtain and perhaps only available to immediate relatives? (Campbell is not a blood-relative of mine).

Some searches have led to the UK National Archives, but this site appears to have been shut down or has gone 'belly-up'?
    Any help/pointers as to how I would obtain a copy of the report would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You need to go to the National Archives of Australia site, where you will find that Campbell's service record and casualty file have both been digitised for free online viewing:

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=1065300

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=6978028

Errol

Thanks

Errol had signed in for his search and the links have now timed out.

Best way to see the files he found is as follows

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx

click search as guest

enter in the keywords box

campbell 427063

This will bring up the index pages then click on sheaf of pages icons.

You will also see that the files for Lind and Palling have not been digitised yet and you can request these to be done for a small fee. This can be paid online from anywhere in the world.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default MREU reports

Hello,

When the personnel who are undergoing the report, are they taken photos of the graves
    before starting their invertigations.
    If so is there a possibility to obtain a copy of the photos and where to look for ?

Best regards

René

Thanks

Thanks folks.
    I already have copies of those two records, in fact I paid to have the service record released a couple of years ago when I started my research. There are quite a few pages in there but not a lot of earth-shattering info.
    I've been looking into this subject for the last couple of years (Refer my earlier introductory post "G'day from Western Oz" for the basic story).

I'm at a point in my research where I'm attempting to refute/confirm a decades-old rumour that two of the DX-Q (Lancaster LM653) crew members initially survived the crash, only to die later. Some information I have uncovered would seem to bear out this story, so my next step is to try to i.d. which crew members these were, if possible.

I've been led to believe the MREU reports are quite detailed and almost like a forensic report, hence my desire to obtain a copy. I otherwise know very little about them.
    Are they compiled on an individual basis or would the whole crew (in this instance) be the subject of the one report?
    As the RAAF members of the crew were actually seconded to the RAF for ops, would it be safe to assume that the report(s) are part of an RAF archive, as opposed to an RAAF one?

Thanks

TNA files on MREU are mostly policy not individual cases.

A list of all holdings is given here

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Missing_research_and_enquiry_servi ce

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

You may wish to contact the webmaster of this site:

http://www.flieger-lynchmorde.de/Text/auflistung.htm

Apparently a number of allied airmen, including two Australians, were murdered on Dreierwalde airfield following a raid there on 21 March 1945. I haven't cross-checked the NAA site to see if that corresponds to the rough crash location of the Lanc you're after.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhuxt View Post
    You may wish to contact the webmaster of this site:

http://www.flieger-lynchmorde.de/Text/auflistung.htm

Apparently a number of allied airmen, including two Australians, were murdered on Dreierwalde airfield following a raid there on 21 March 1945. I haven't cross-checked the NAA site to see if that corresponds to the rough crash location of the Lanc you're after.
    Thanks!
    Very interesting site, although it doesn't seem to list anything re the crew of LM653 (- three aircrew were RAF & the other 4 were RAAF).
    This Lanc went down just near the village of Friedrichsthal, near Kransberg, north of Frankfurt and it appears two airmen parachuted from the bomber; one survivng the fall but dying of wounds on the ground. Another survived the crash and was alledgedly struck down by a local 'farm leader' ('Ortsbauernfuehrer').
    This person was taken away by US Army personnel after they occupied the area, approx. 10 days later, and never seen or heard from again. I've already contacted the US archives to determine exactly which units were in the area, with a view to looking for any documentation re this 'arrest'.

I'll contact the site to see if they've heard of this case.

Regards,
    Scott.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Romainville View Post
    Hello,

When the personnel who are undergoing the report, are they taken photos of the graves
    before starting their invertigations.
    If so is there a possibility to obtain a copy of the photos and where to look for ?

Best regards

René
    Hi René,

The crew of LM653 were initially buried in a communal grave in Kransberg and were later (post-war) reinterred in the Hanover War Cemetery. I have visited the graves in the Hanover cemetery and the airmen are buried in individual plots as their remains were apparently quite easily identified via the insignia on their uniforms.
    This would also suggest that there was no explosion when the bomber crashed and probably little or no fire. We are very sure this bomber was on it's way home from the target (& therefore unladen) when it was shot down, which also fits with the scenario.
    I guess what I would like to glean from an MREU (assuming the report has the info) would be perhaps a description of some sort of trauma suffered by one of the crew that doesn't reconcile with the plane crash.
    I have not been told what information the MREU may hold (perhaps photos too?), but have just been advised to obtain one if I can.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by DX-Q; 6th February 2012 at 02:24. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks

The crew who were murdered at Dreierwalde were from 51sqdn Halifax MZ348.