Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #1 Y Depot, Halifax

Thanks

I recall that you did Bill, and I had a look for any indications that this is what might have happened but found nothing to confirm or deny what the reason for Walter, and Bill whoever he was, had to have been at Valley Forge, a US Army medical hospital.
    I thought that he might have trained there, but his stripes are up and that happened after his training was completed and his wings were presented, and that was only a couple of days prior to his recordeed posting to No1(Y) unit.
    Then I wondered if maybe he was visiting someone, but that seems unlikely.
    And I wondered why, if it was a wee holiday, choose Valley Forge?
    Then I thought that perhaps they were looking into the historical side of Valley Forge?

Then I got so confused that I simply decided that I'll use the photo and pose the question, and if anyone reading the story knows that answer then they can tell us!
    Last edited by Jake Drummond; 21st August 2012 at 16:45. Reason: Removal of erronious data.

Thanks

It was suggested earlier in this thread that the "Y" Depots were for RCAF personnel. I would correct this to read RCAF personnel AND (probably) all graduates of EATS and BCATP schools awaiting transport to the United Kingdom. Almost without exception, RNZAF graduates of these schools in Canada were posted to 1 Y Depot from the time it appeared on the scene, and I would imagine all RAAF graduates would do the same way.
    David D

Thanks

David is right. Y Depot was an RCAF organization, but it cared for all BCATP members. It appears that the division between RCAF and other BCATP air forces in Canada got a little fuzzy some times, with both staff and students being freely exchanged between RCAF and RAF schools, and the RAAF and RNZAF showing up at both.

Thanks

Don
    I wonder if you could obtain any information from the Pier 21 museum, Halifax NS ?

http://www.pier21.ca/research/pier21/the-first-seventy-five-years

My RAAF father sailed from there to England in 1943 ,having come by ship from Australia- San Francisco then train to Massachusetts. As did many servicemen from Aus .and possibly NZ .

Anne