Thread: 232 bomber wing

Thanks

Default 232 bomber wing

I am researching 232 bomber wing of the Desert airforce 1942-44. This wing contained 55 and 223 squadron flying Martin Baltimores. My Father in Law, Ivor Percy Charlesworth, was an airframe fitter maintaining Baltimores and he related a story of an aircraft returning from a sorty with damage to it's nose due to colliding with the mast of an enemy ship. My Father in Law made temporary repairs so that the aircraft could be flown to the rear workshops for perminant repairs, at first the pilot refused to take the aircraft "as it was damaged" but he was ordered to do so. If any one knows about this incident and could give me any information ie which squadron, aircraft reg and crew names I would appreciate it. Also does any one know the code letters of both squadrons during this time?

Thanks

Default Sqn Codes

Hi Pop

Nothing more specific than this, I'm afraid, but 55 Sqn's code letters were 'KQ-' while 223's were 'AO-' (later used '6G-', I'm not quite sure of the exact change-over date).

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Default 232 bomber wing

hi ian,
    thanks for the info. Do you know if the Baltimores of the two squadrons carried code letters and serial numbers. many photos are show neither on aircraft.
    Regards Pop