Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCAF Service Records

Thanks

Default RCAF Service Records

My 95 year old father served in WWII and has been trying to get his service records - did get UK info from Canadian Archives Library but no info from D Day on Continent 44 - 45. Does anyone know who to contact - last office I got hold of said Dad had to be dead 20 years before I could access info. Dad is building a scrapbook with me with pictures and anecdotes. Thanks

Thanks

Sharon,

It might be easier to answer if you gave a quick precis of which service your father served with and when. It is easily done, but I am confused!

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hello Sharon,
    You will need to tell us your fathers number rank and name and in what service RAF/RCAF he served?
    Thank you
    Norman

Jonny, My apologises, I didn't check latest post before posting this, Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 8th February 2012 at 17:47. Reason: adding last line

Thanks

Sharon,

Veterans Affairs Canada has a FAQ page at http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/generalfaq and one of the questions it answers is "Where would I obtain military service records?". If for some reason you can't get your father's own service records, you should be able to get the records of his unit(s), which would tell you something. What unit(s) was he in?

Rob

Thanks

RCAF Squadron 411 -- Armour on Spitfires mainly - William John Motyer Enlisted May 1921 served til October 1945 Rank in 1942 AC2 - S - Tradesman, then AC1 Armourer, then LAC Armourer then A/CPL Fitter Armourer with 126 A F

Thanks Sharon

Thanks

OOPs Enlisted 1942

Thanks

Default Veterans Affairs

I did the FAQ early in January and did get his Canadian Postings and those in UK but none for after D Day - he remembers going over to Juno Beach D Day + 3 or 5 even before his Squadron was able to come over.

Thanks

Sharon,

A "posting" was a tranfer from one unit to another. If his squadron went to France, that would not be a posting and may well not be in his service records. You probably now need to find the records of his unit. They should be at LAC. 411 Squadron's Operational Record Book (ORB) should indicate when the ground crew moved to France and probably what airfields the squadron moved to as the Allies advanced. They are in the file described at http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng& rec_nbr=4102789&rec_nbr_list=905362,4102790,410278 9,3401446,3391090. The file described at
    http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng& rec_nbr=4102790&rec_nbr_list=905362,4102790,410278 9,3401446,3391090 may also be of interest.

There is also the book "411 Squadron : City of North York : 50 Years of History, 1941-1991" and 411 Squadron will certainly be mentioned in the RCAF official history.

Rob

Thanks

Sharon,

According to your first post your father is still alive. He is allowed to obtain his own service file without restriction. Has he requested his file?

Thanks

Hello

while I can't help with the ORB of No 411 Squadron, I have No. 126 Wing's at home in digital pictures, so I can have a look for June 1944 and see if the moves of ground crews is mentioned (not the names of the individuals, but grounds crews as a group)

Joss