Thread: St Eval crash April 19, 1945

Thanks

Default St Eval crash April 19, 1945

I was wondering if there was any information about my uncle's Wellington crash April 19, 1945. He was Fl Mervin C. Hogg, flying with RAF 14 Squadron out of Chivenor.

Thanks

Hello Ian,
    I've in my files that Wellington Mk.XIV serial NC419 (coded CX-M) took off from Chivenor, Devon, 20.56 hrs for an anti-submarine patrol Scilly Isles. The aircraft crashed (cause not known) into sea off Trevane Point, St.Eval, Cornwall. Besides F/Lt HOGG als killed:
    F/Lt Leonard A. JACKSON - RAAF 421222 - Missing.
    F/O George S. SMITH - RCAF J/90948 (from Toronto, Ontario) - buried Brookwood Military Cemetery, Woking, Surrey.
    F/Sgt Leonard C. BARKER - 1129589 - buried Weaverham (St.Mary) Churchyard, Cheshire.
    F/Sgt Edward PEARSON - 1671428 - Missing
    F/Sgt Ronald D. SPEAK - 1522475 - Missing.
    The missing airmen are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Do hope this info will answer your question.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Ian,

For what it's worth... Smith was a Wireless A/G. He was 22, signed on in 1942 and lived in the west end of Toronto. His mother, Zoe Geneva Beckhout, was Belgian. His father was born in Ontario.

Cause of death listed as "killed after air operations".
    David

Thanks

Hi Ian
    This is a very late reply but its because I only started researching this crash 2 months ago. I am not even sure if you will get this post but I REALLY hope you do. I grew up in Mawgan Porth which is the beach where the crash occurred. As a child i used to visit the crash site a lot in the 80's and even then I used to find pieces of the aircraft. The Davidstow crash log covers all of the aviation mishaps that happened between 1939 and 1945 in the Cornwall area and it lists this information:

19-04-1945
    0005hrs
    Vickers Wellington XIV NC419 CX-?14 Squadron based at RAF Chivenor, Devon flown by F/Lt Hogg RCAF and crew had an internal petrol leak and while making for an emergency landing at RAF St Eval, the crew were overcome by fumes and crashed into the cliff face at Trenance, Mawgan Porth, St Mawgan. The crew of six were killed.

They were less than a minute from the runway at St Eval ! To add to this, the crash site its self lines up damn near perfectly with one of the three runways at the airbase. They were so close ! What an absolute tragedy !! : o (

I have recently [a few hours ago] been in contact with Mike Napier who runs a website for 14 Squadron as I saw in one of his articles that he mentions your uncle and you and I believe he has given you the full report of the whole incident. This I would very much like to read. MOST IMPORTANTLY though I have in my possession the fuel selector switch from your uncles Wellington which after all this time is still in working order [though be it a little tarnished] my whole journey of research into this seems to have lead me to this point and although it means a lot to me, it would mean a lot more to me if I could place it in your hands as thats where I feel it rightfully belongs. I hope you get this message.

James.