Thread: Mentionen In Despatches?

Thanks

Default Mentionen In Despatches?

I have just received a transcript of the service record of W/C J O C Kercher DSO RAF. I have a problem. I read David Duxbury's explanation of the purpose of 1 Depot in his post of May 28th, 2008, and found it interesting. However, I am trying to find out what Kercher did to be mentioned in despatches on January 1st, 1942. I know he was posted to 1 Depot on December 1st 1941 and again on April 25th, 1942. He is mentioned in the incident in Durban which led to the courtmatial of some army and airforce personnel in January 1942 for mutiny. I find this very confusing. I hope someone may help to point me in the right direction to find the information I am searching for.
    Last edited by Michael B G; 12th February 2012 at 21:34.

Thanks

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?10639-Sqd-Ldr-J-O-C-Kercher

People might want to read the old thread before they go repeating things that have been said.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I would hazzard a guess and suggest that, because it was announced in the New Years Honours List of 1942, this man's MiD was for meritorious service, not gallantry. Unless it was a downgraded recommendation, you will probably never be able to find out the reason for the award. Most recs have been destroyed.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.