Thread: Frank Norton Turland RAF - details sought

Thanks

Default Frank Norton Turland RAF - details sought

Hi,
    I am currently researching an ex RAF member - Frank Norton Turland who served during the RAF during WW2 and was awarded a 1939/45 star, France & germany star and war medal. He sadly died in 2001. As far as I can asertain, he was not commissioned or decorated. I am assuming he didn't enlist until 1942/43 as he was not awarded a defence medal. is there any way I can find out his RAF number, rank and if he was aircrew?
    Any help or guidance appreicated,
    Cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Rick,
    F N Turland Death Reg at Hatfield in 2001. If the official Informant on the Death Cert is a rellie then you might be able to make contact seeing how relatively recent the death was. If, on the other hand, it was - for example - a Care Home Manager then you are not much further forward! Another (possible) rellie (born in same area as F N T) was a Peter Charles Turland died in the Far East 2 May 45 (see CWGC). He was a Trenchard Brat - 574644. Might be a way forward there?
    Not a lot of help but HTH
    Yrs Aye
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The card index of all airmen has been transferred to the TNA and is available for online download for free.

The files are acrobat format and large.

In this case you want AIR 78/160. His name and service number appear in the first download part.

Turland, Frank Norton, 1472408 and the card annotation H.M.E.

I have no idea what the HME stands for, but once the associated card for service records are transferred I think that all will become clear. What I can say is that there was no annotation for Militia or NSA (National Service) which suggests that he was not a conscript under these acts.

With this service number and a copy of the death certificate you can apply to Cranwell for the information available for death less than 25 years ago without NOK consent.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/ServiceRecords/MakingARequestForInformationHeldOnThePersonnelReco rdsOfDeceasedServicePersonnel.htm

Strictly speaking you did not need to find his service number but I assume that in the future this part will come under - records/information available elsewhere in public access databases, and so will be omitted from Cranwell returns as will date of birth, date of death etc.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

1472408 Enlisted late summer 1941 @ (probably) Cardington.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Guys,
    very many thanks, much appreicated
    Rick