Thread: Beaufort 2 DD937

Thanks

Default Beaufort 2 DD937

Does anyone have the record card for this aircraft lost on 2nd Nov 1942.From 39 sq.
    Previous squadrons date of manufacture etc.
    TIA
    Nick

Doug Cuthbertson Guest

Hi Dick,
    Air Britain Serials has this a/c as delivered between Feb and July 1942, from the Filton factory at Bristol. Only used by 39 Sqn.
    Regards, Doug.

Thanks

Hi Nick
    A small crumb only but Air Britain DA-DZ Serials has only 39 Sqn as an "owner" of this a/c and confirm it as missing from a Convoy Attack off Tobruk on 2/11/42. They have it as one of a batch of Beaufort IIs delivered between Mar and Jul 1942 but that is the only indication of any date for any transfer. My edition of the AB Serials is dated 1987
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 20th March 2008 at 22:24.

Thanks

Thank you both very much this answers my question.
    I am making a model of this aircraft and was just checking that it was a 39sq plane and not a 217sq or 86sq aircraft being used as part of 39 following their amalgamation!! All very confusing!
    According to the warpaint book slate grey and extra dark sea grey would be the cammo pattern with azure blue underparts,Does anyone know any different?
    Nick

Thanks

Default Beaufort photo

Hi Nick,
    In the book "British Aircraft of WWII" by John Frayne Turner, there are 2 excellent colour photos of Beauforts, one of them in Malta with the camouflage pattern you describe. If you don't have this, I'll happily scan it and send it to you.
    Glad the model's underway at last!!! My Lanc's doing well!
    Regards
    Max

Thanks

Thanks Max.
    At last is the word, I have got fed up sitting down in the evenings and wasting my time watching the bilge that passes for entertainment on the TV.
    The Photos would be Most welcome.As mentioned my previous post I wanted to confirm the aircraft was from 39 before going out and buying paints.Email address is as before when you get a minute,thanks again.
    Nick