Thread: Any suggestions for identifying RAF a/c flown by a pilot 1938-39??

Thanks

Default Any suggestions for identifying RAF a/c flown by a pilot 1938-39??

I believe F/O Harry Hardman flew Hurricanes with 111 Squadron during the period 17 September 1938 to 9 March 1939. I am trying to identify any of the Hurricanes he would have flown at this time. Were any Squadron records kept for this period of activity?

Thanks

Peter Roberts

Thanks

The Form 540/541 as an Operations Record Book came into being in August 1939 and Sept 1939 as units mobilised for war and the requirements for record keeping laid down in the War Manual were actioned.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11845-Form-540-and-Form-541-Operations-Record-Book

Prior to that date record keeping by squadrons was very light, mostly being postings of officers and airmen pilots. A brief mention was made of annual exercise and practice camps but not much more.

One reel of microfilm Air 27/866 covers the period Jan-Dec 1940 but prior to that one reel of similar length AIR 27/865 covers Jun 1917 to Dec 1939 so 1 year of records versus 22 years.

My experience in pre war records is that very little detail is given and certainly none down to individual aircraft details. This type of info is only available in Pilot Log Books.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you Ross - I was afraid of that. It explains why there is no such information.

Thanks

Hello Peter,

As a start you could check out two sources for the serial numbers of the Hurricanes used by 111 sqdn that were from the L serial number range.

Air Britain's serial number book L1000 - N9999 is one reference and you could also look on the web at oldrafrecords.com that has the 1940 541 forms. I know this is out of your period of interest but they still had the L serialed Hurricanes at that date.

From this you will at least have a list of "possible suspects"

Ian

PS just noted your other post in that you already know of the OLDRAFRECORDS site, but my comments still stand
    Last edited by ian94avenge; 12th February 2012 at 23:10.

Thanks

Default Thank you Ian

Good ideas there. I have a reasonable handle on the Hurricanes at 111 Squadron, but nevertheless a good suggestion re:serial numbers. Appreciate the input

PR

Thanks

Hi,

Have a go at downloading the prewar period on the new TNA 3.50 online feature you may be able to get all the prewar ORB in onefile.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Thanks Ross

Yes, saw your post and most excited about this development! I'll have a go at that. I also want to get 567 Sqn post war. The CO was John Hewson, an Aussie, and keen to find out what he flew. Thanks for the heads up!

PR