Thread: Who downed JU-88 V4+B5 over Bourne, Lincolnshire?

Thanks

Default Who downed JU-88 V4+B5 over Bourne, Lincolnshire?

I recently read the brief details of a JU-88 which was brought down over Bourne, Lincolnshire on May, 4, 1941.
    It crashed on to a pub, killing the crew and 5 people on the ground.
    Does anyone know more about this incident, especially about how it was brought down?

Thanks

Hi Tom

This KG1 aircraft (V4+BS - rather than B5) is generally thought to have been shot down by W/C David Atcherley and Flt. Lt. John Hunter-Tod in a Beaufighter of 25 Squadron between Market Deeping and Bourne.

HTH
    Niall

Thanks

Default Bourne JU-88

Thanks Nial,
    What is your source of your info?
    As you say "generally thought", was there more than one claimed that night?
    Tom

Thanks

Greetings Tom,
    I received this signal this morning (Thursday) from an old Vickers Armstrongs Lab Engineer who I worked with in 'ye olde days'.

Do you by chance have the names of the Luftwaffe crew please as this will assist him greatly, thanks.
    Cheers,
    Digger.

Hello Digger and Barbara , please don't worry about the e-mails , they are all interesting to me , especially this one because as a current project

I am gathering gen on the event for a future talk or article. I am being encouraged by Michael Mc gregor , a member of the U3A aviation group,
    retired Bourne GP and respected chronicler of Bourne past and present. he was Raymond Mays (ERA/BRM) doctor , and also by Rex Needle who
    has written several books about the town and it's personalities. The gen in the e-mail is well documemted , the people killed in the pub were the
    landlord and his family,plus a soldier who was staying overnight . I am attempting to fill in details of the airmen involved and the events leading
    to the interception over Bourne. If you could help or suggest any lines of investigation I would be very grateful,as although I seem to be able to
    trace aircraft facts, I have no experience of tracing people, especially Luftwaffe people. I think that the Beau pilot was one of the famous RAF
    Atcherly twins, and Schnieder Trophy pilot but need to confirm it. All fascinating stuff, All the best...........Den

Thanks

Default Bourne Ju88

Hello,
    No, sorry, I hadn't even heard about this cash until very recently and I have just started to try and trace what information I can; hence the post on here.
    Regards,
    Tom

Thanks

Thanks Tom,
    Let us hope that someone will come up with the names.
    Cheers,
    Digger