Thread: Looking for info on FAA Casualties - where to look?

Thanks

Default Looking for info on FAA Casualties - where to look?

Hello everyone

I've a list of 24 WW2 Fleet Air Arm casualties I'm looking to find some information about.

I wondered if anyone can recommend the best place to ask, preferably online. Is there an FAA equivalent of RAFCommands.com - a sort of 'FAACommands' if you see what I mean!

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Not really as far as I know but ask here on thsi forum.

You can check over this website for a start:
    http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1003-Intro.htm

And then Sturivant's book seems to be the main bible, if you can get it on library loan maybe.
    http://www.raysturtivant.btinternet.co.uk/faaa.htm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Simon,
    If you send me the names, I'll check Ray's book. Also if the were lost in Scotland I'll have their details.

Alan.

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies. I've been to the Naval History site and found the basic info about the casualties, but would like to add some details. No luck with the local library service for the Sturtivant book, and I'm not keen on the Amazon prices...!!!

Alan - I'll send you a PM if that's okay.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Default Fleet Air Arm Museum

I would write to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton (see their Website for address) to see if they can satisfy your request for additional information, if you have a date and/or a name.

If the FAA Museum cannot help in the first instance with some of the requests, the Navy used to have an Historical Branch (last address was at Portsmouth about 6 years ago) and they might be able to assist with a written request by letter, when an individual inquiry has drawn a blank at the FAA Museum, Yeovilton and other places?

I noticed one particular Cabinet COS (Chiefs of Staff) paper online (some Cabinet CAB classes are now available free of charge on the TNA Site to download) had a very brief reference to a crash at a Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS). Unfortunately, the 'Line Books' or 'Ship's Books' of RN Air Stations don't seem to be in TNA, Kew.

Were any in 1940?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 14th February 2012 at 23:16. Reason: What year?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Mark

Thanks for suggesting the FAA Museum site. I've had a look at their Research section, and it says 'We regret that the Museum is unable to answer enquiries by post or email, other than requests for copies of service related documents held in the archive.' I'll drop them a quick e-mail just clarify which 'service related documents' they have.

This is the only one I have from 1940:

DERWENT Gordon Emmett, Leading Airman FAA/FX 76649
    813 Sqn, HMS Eagle, killed in an air crash 04/09/40
    Also killed: Lt K S L Bell, Lt D R H Drummond, Sub Lt A M Todd

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,
    DERWENT, DRUMMOND and TODD were killed on Swordfish Mk.I K8398 (E4-C); shot down by a Fiat CR42. Their target was the aerodrome Maritza on Rhodos island. Sub.Lt K.S.L. BELL (4.9.40) was killed on a Swordfish but have no further info.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Many thanks Henk.

It was Derwent I was looking for, so thank you for the I.D. of his Swordfish.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

"Thanks for the reply Mark

Thanks for suggesting the FAA Museum site. I've had a look at their Research section, and it says 'We regret that the Museum is unable to answer enquiries by post or email, other than requests for copies of service related documents held in the archive.' I'll drop them a quick e-mail just clarify which 'service related documents' they have." ...

Hello Simon
    It was my understanding that the FAA Museum Yeovilton had similar information to the RAF Museum, such as:-
    Accident Cards?
    Official publications for research etc?

Although I do recall writing to the FAA Museum several years back, asking them if they held an official document giving the official publication number and title, after trying TNA and RAF Museum etc. The FAA Museum wrote back saying that due to flooding, that they were unable to tell me or not, if they held the document as their Archive stock had to be moved urgently.

This surprised me, that their Archive could be at risk of flooding and also that they did not have an Archive database either.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 18th February 2012 at 17:11.