Thread: RCAF photos

Thanks

Default RCAF photos

Hello,

In many WW2 books, photographs of Canadian personnel or aircraft are often credited 'PL-xxxxx'. Does anyone know how can we obtain a copy of them? Which department in Canada is managing the collection?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

First, my apologies to Phil who put this to me a few days ago; a query I have been slow to answer. However, the information may be of general interest to members of this forum.

The Canadian armed forces administered the old public relations photo collection (mainly PL-prefix pictures) until about four years ago, when TPTB (The Powers That Be) decided the forces could not maintain the negatives (read "we don't want to budget any more for this") and transferred almost everything to Library and Archives Canada. It took LAC about three years to get it into some form of accessibility and there are still problems (not so evident if you already have a PL-number); in many ways it is now comparable to a steam-driven mousetrap.

Nevertheless, a visit to Library and Archives Canada website (specifically http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/copies/index-e.html) will introduce you to the formalities, forms and price list.

Sigh for the good old days.
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 14th February 2012 at 15:39.

Thanks

Yes I can confirm every word that Hugh wrote.
    The archive contains very nice and unique photos - in may case I was looking for photos of the first observer course in Canada and found there a lot.
    I was lucky as I got them during "the good old times" now it is more complicated from my point of view and also very expensive for private researcher:-(

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz