Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service record enquiry 'W'

Thanks

Default Service record enquiry 'W'

Hello

My Grandfather was apparently/somehow injured while he was with 144 sqn in 1939. I have on his sevice record the Dep Cas Form Code '22W/39' and a move to unit 'No.1 REC.CTRE (NE)' This appears to have included ten days at 'Hosp Cranwell' 3 months later under Dep Cas Form 12/40. The reason is given as 'W'.

During this period he was an 'LAC F/M:E.' and appears to have gone to RAF Aldergrove for a course in mid'39. At that time there was only a resident Air Observation school which later expanded to gunnery and bombing. He had his 3 year Good Conduct Badge 'A' by 1938 and a "GAC (0r LAC) Education 'B' " attained in December '36 - when he was also qualified in Rapier, Jaguar, Jupiter, Pegasus, Mercury and Cheetah engines. In Feb '38 he has 'CF23/38 7167 Ex. Reclass 77.2%'. His proficiency is 'A Super' and Character 'V.G.'

After Hospital in Cranwell, he went to 215 Sqn - reason 'B'.

Any translations welcome! Thanks, Nick

Thanks

One of these references may simply be an 'authority' code, confiming him as injured.

The code with "NE" in - if this code was allocated on the date of injury (or date of confirmation of injury) it almost certainly means "Non Effective".

I have also seen the phrase "Non Effective sick" occuring in RAF ORBs when an RAF Pilot or Airman has been injured and moved to another unit and posted "Non Effective".

LAC - Leading Aircraftsman.

I am not saying your relative was in the RAFVR. However, I am aware that the letters "V.G." meant:-

" "V.G." is the highest character which can be awarded in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve."
    as "V.G." is written on Sgt Claude L. G. Hood (my Grandfather's) papers sent to my family when he was Killed, along with a printed explanation of "V.G."

Incidentally "NE" is stamped in the top right hand corner of the RAF Air Ministry Form 543 pink copy in our case.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 14th February 2012 at 20:56.

Thanks

Hi Mark

Thank you kindly for this. Alfred joined in '35 and left in '46. His first sqn was 101 bomber and he went to 144 snq bomber when it was borne out of the former. Other units include 3 Wing, 215 sqn, 11 OTU, 605 sqn, 5 SFTS, 275 sqn, 14 APC, CFE and 9 FCSU.

There are seven entries in his MUSTERING section, all with VG's. His second good conduct badge came after the required 8 years with an A notation in '43. It has a code beside it of 188/43 which corresponds (but may not be related) to an aircrew promotion programme initiated in '43 whereby, basically, all operational aircrew were rapidly brought up to a minimum rank of sargeant (C/O approval) - or further dependent on their rank at the time of implementation. Alfred was a T/Sargeant from July '42 so I am not sure how this fits in for him.

I think, of all the codes on the service record, that REASON is the most helpful and ironically the most difficult to decipher! I have H, HH, FORM, W, B, X, K, F and can only find a translation for one of them.

Thanks

Nick

There should be an Air Publication (A.P.) on RAF / Air Ministry - Administration, which should explain the Key to the various Forms they used? When the abbreviation Key is known, you can sometimes gain more information. I don't have the Air Publication, but you could try TNA, Kew, RAF Museum, Hendon, IWM, Lambeth and the British Library (BL) at Euston, London (bear in mind some BL books are now stored off site).

I am a big believer in extracting as much information from these references as possible.

Some of the number / letter references will simply be an 'authority' number.

'No.1 REC.CTRE (NE)' I suspect that is '1 Recovery Centre'? If the Unit was under the RAF, you might even find that they had an ORB and it has survived at TNA, Kew, although some ORBs are not very detailed?

You could trace the activities of the Units and Squadrons in all the ORBs for each of the Units you mention, at TNA, Kew.

I expect that if the Unit ORB has survived for the period when he became injured, it should according to the pre and WW2 King's Regulations editions record him being injured. You might find nothing, but at least a sentence (or a brief paragraph sometimes) ought to record the circumstances, or reason for the injury.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 14th February 2012 at 22:42. Reason: additional information

Thanks

Mark, very helpful. As you suggest, the devil is in the detail. I need to get onto Kew with some specifics. Cheers

Thanks

Nick

If you go to TNA, Kew, British Library and other Archives, don't forget to check the current ID situation before going and take all your required identification with you to get a Readers Ticket, as Station ORBs in AIR 28, many Unit ORBs including AIR 29 and other files, are viewed in the secure reading room, for which you will require a Readers Ticket to get in.

Mark

Thanks

Nick,
    Mark is, I believe, correct with his explanation for "NE". The abbreviation "VG" used for character simply indicates "Very Good", and was very commonly used. I have seen such assessments on personnel records, and it would probably be used in as much as 80% of all cases, so could hardly be described as unusual. LAC is of course Leading Aircraftman (not Aircraftsman). Also as Mark states, many of the collections of quoted abbreviations and letters/numbers indicate the authority for postings, promotions/reclassifications, remusterings, etc. From memory there were only three grades of character assessment used by the RAF for annual assessments of airmen (carried out by the airman's CO of course), could somebody else elaborate on this? Also as Mark suggests, the Manual for RAF Administration should be a big help in decyphering much if this "gobbledegook", but is may not explain absolutely everything unless it also incudes official abbreviations for all then-current RAF Stations, units, schools, and other types of Depots. etc.
    David D

Thanks

Nick,
    The RAF Manual of Administation is AP 837.
    David D

Thanks

Default LAC - "Leading aircraftman"

Thanks Dave

Sorry Nick for the spelling error with regard to the LAC meaning.

I should have written "Leading aircraftman" without the 's' in my previous post.

Thanks for the Air Publication number too.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 19th February 2012 at 10:01. Reason: ref to A.P. number

Thanks

>I have H, HH, FORM, W, B, X, K, F and can only find a translation for one of them. <

H, HH, X and F are described here.
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?12265-Form-543

Kings Regulations cover Character and Trade Proficiency Assessment and Grading

2140 covers Character

The possible abbreviations are:
    Bad
    Indifferent
    Fair
    Good
    V.G. (Very Good)
    V.G.*

A C.O may assess an airman's character as V.G.* once in his career.

2141 covers Trade Assessment

The possible abbreviations are:

Inferior - Inf
    Moderate - Mod
    Satisfactory - Sat
    Superior - Sup
    Exceptional - Ex

Ex was limited to not exceed 4% when the strength exceeded 400 or 5% when between 50 to 400.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.