Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notes on the History of RAF Training, 1939-44

Thanks

Default Notes on the History of RAF Training, 1939-44

I came across a reference to this document which was issued (I believe) by the Air Ministry in 1945. Has anyone come across it in their research?

Thanks

The date range and title is not quite what you state but I think that you are looking for the AHB nomograph.

It's available on paper and CD at
    http://www.mlrsbooks.co.uk/bookstore/index.php/search?qry=flying+training

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross

You are probably right; the reference is contained in an article on the Silloth Flight Trainer
    http://www.raes-fsg.org.uk/18/The_Cambridge_Cockpit/

I am still trying to track down the syllabus for 4 SoTT (1943/1944) and wondered if it may be included in that document (or the one that you have now pointed me to).

The next stage is to see if I can establish if a Silloth Flight Trainer was installed at RAF St Athan (1943/1944) ..... the never ending joys of research

Thanks

No.

The nomograph covers flying training as it's title suggests.

The Silloth trainer is mentioned in passing as is the Harwell Box as synthetic training aids to reduce the number of flying training hours.

In fact all that the Silloth Trainer was was an "exploded" fuselage giving more room round the crew stations and opening these up for other trainees to stand round as well as instructors to look over the shoulder during training exercises. Not really the full motion trainer described in the link.

SofTT is Technical Training for ground trades and so was not included in a review of flying training. The course content would depend on the trade being instructed so no single arrangement.

If course detail isurvives anywhere it will be in the ORB and Appendices for the relevant unit or in similar documents for the Training Group/Command.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks again Ross

As you are probably aware, all flight engineer training 1942/45 was undertaken at 4 SoTT, RAF St Athan (with some at RAF Locking when numbers were high).

The research I am doing is based around a flight engineer and as you say, their training route was not via EFTS / SFTS (like all other trades) so does not seem to be covered in any documents (apart from a few one liners).

FE's training went through the Aircrew Reception, ITW, 4SoTT route and then onto HCU where they joined a 5 man crew from OTU (along with the additional air gunner) to make up the 7 man bomber crew.

I do have the syllabus for ITW but I have not been able to track down anything for 4 SoTT ..... but I will keep digging.
    Last edited by PeteT; 17th February 2012 at 12:46.

Thanks

Peter,

I have a copy of this soft-back book, produced as you say in January 1945 (reprinted in 1945). It has some 304 pages and is an ideal read if you are having difficulty in getting off to sleep. After some 6 or 7 pages you are guaranteed to enter the land of nod.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks

Jim

Did you happen to notice if it had any information regarding flight engineer training before you nodded off!

(Specifically I am looking for the training syllabus at 4 SoTT)

Regards

Pete

Thanks

Pete,

There is one page only devoted to Flight Engineers. The following is recorded. A typical sequence of training for a flight engineer destined for Bomber Command in 1944 was:

A.C.R.C. 6 weeks possibly to P.A.C.T.
    Possibly to grading -
    I.T.W. 6 weeks
    Technical Training
    School 18 weeks
    Ground Gunnery School 2 weeks
    Type training 7 weeks
    Officer or NCO Course 4 weeks
    H.C.U. *** 10 weeks
    TOTAL 53 weeks

*** Flight Engineers joined their H.C.U. some weeks before the rest of the crew, of which they would eventually form part, in order to get flying experience: this might amount to to about 30 hours.

Cheers

Jim

Thanks

Default Notes on the history of RAF training

Hello Pete

Here are some info regarding F/E , coming from their record

1) 19/11/42 : 4 S of TT
    12/04/43 : AVRoe firm
    05/05/43 : HCU

2) 10/03/43 : 4 S of TT
    06/09/43 : HCU

Best regards
    René

Thanks

Jim

Thanks for that ... it sounds like that document has the usual one liner re flight engineer training ..... but I am sure that somewhere in the ether the syllabus for 4 SoTT exists .... will just have to keep looking.

Rene

Thanks for the information .... they seem like normal FE routes to the HCU ..... The AVRoe mention is interesting .... recruits had to spend 1 week at an aircraft manufacturer as part of their training ("Makers Course") ... the flight engineer that I am researching spent his time at the Rootes "Shadow Factory" at Speke.