Thread: PO Robert Wilson Yuill RAFVR 133212

Thanks

Default PO Robert Wilson Yuill RAFVR 133212

Hi,

I am trying to discover information regarding my uncle PO Robert Wilson Yuill RAFVR 133212, who died 26-oct-1942.

We are led to believe that he was a Navigator / Radar Operator in Beaufighters and was based at RAF Ford in Sussex when he died.

He was unable to share squadron information etc. with his family before he died, as he had signed the official secrets act.

I would be very grateful for any information that would give the family a greater insite into his service in the RAF.

Also any direction as to where more information could be sourced would be good.

Thanks

Hi,

If you contact the RAF Museum, Hendon Department of Research and Information Services (DoRIS) and ask for a copy of the Form 1180 Accident card for:

Reel 16-37, 1942, Beaufighter, 26th Oct, FIU, X7672

This is the loss card for the accident.

Pilot is listed as P/O J A Clandillon, 117778

It is listed as an Operational sortie and the aircraft suffered an engine failure on take off.

"Pilot attempted to do circuit but lost height and force landed in the sea.

C/O - from pilots report it would appear engine failure due to oil starvation. Oil gauge was u/s but due to urgency of situation aircraft was flown.

O/C - Weather was bad. Pilot not to blame.

Stn/C - Concurs

C of I - No person responsible

AOC - Concurs

AOCinC - Questionable whether risk of flying justified since weather was unfavorable for interception."

No AIB investigation was ordered.

So after this I would recommend reading the Fighter Intercecption Unit (FIU) ORB fron the National Archives, Kew and obtaining a copy of his Service Record from RAF Cranwell.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

JohnPat,
    Robert Wilson Yuill was Commissioned Plt Off in the RAFVR GD Branch (133212) on 23 Sep 42. (Previously been 1054907 Enlisted at Padgate after Sep 1939).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Hi,

If you contact the RAF Museum, Hendon Department of Research and Information Services (DoRIS) and ask for a copy of the Form 1180 Accident card for:

Reel 16-37, 1942, Beaufighter, 26th Oct, FIU, X7672

This is the loss card for the accident.

Pilot is listed as P/O J A Clandillon, 117778

It is listed as an Operational sortie and the aircraft suffered an engine failure on take off.

"Pilot attempted to do circuit but lost height and force landed in the sea.

C/O - from pilots report it would appear engine failure due to oil starvation. Oil gauge was u/s but due to urgency of situation aircraft was flown.

O/C - Weather was bad. Pilot not to blame.

Stn/C - Concurs

C of I - No person responsible

AOC - Concurs

AOCinC - Questionable whether risk of flying justified since weather was unfavorable for interception."

No AIB investigation was ordered.

So after this I would recommend reading the Fighter Intercecption Unit (FIU) ORB fron the National Archives, Kew and obtaining a copy of his Service Record from RAF Cranwell.

Regards
    Ross
    Thanks Ross, appreciate the info.

Regards

John Yuill Paterson

Thanks

Thanks For the info Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    JohnPat,
    Robert Wilson Yuill was Commissioned Plt Off in the RAFVR GD Branch (133212) on 23 Sep 42. (Previously been 1054907 Enlisted at Padgate after Sep 1939).
    HTH
    Peter Davies