Thread: G/C Marwood-Elton W/C Ferris Stalag Luft I

Thanks

Default G/C Marwood-Elton W/C Ferris Stalag Luft I

In January 1945 I have a reference to Group Captain Marwood-Elton and Wing Commander Ferris placed in Civilian Jail for 3 years and 9 months respectably for unknown offences.

Despite lots of internet and book searching I have found nothing to correlate the events or sentences. Has any member any knowledge here at all ?

Thank you.

Thanks

Try page 51 of "Footprints On The Sands Of Time".

Basically, Marwood-Elton and FERRERS not Ferris, were charged with offences relating to refusing to acknowledge Nazi salutes etc.

If you can't find the script easily, post here again and I'll copy the gist of the text from the above book.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin.

Thank you.

Thanks

Here is a summary from 'Footprints' as promised. The book is an amazing piece of research and is well worth the read. It also contains a comprehensive list of Bomber Command POWs and other useful statistics.

Marwood-Elton (ME) was the SBO at Barthe and he was arrested by the Germans on 17 Aug 44 after issuing an order that POWs should not acknowledge Nazi salute but only those proper military salutes. This was considered an act of mutiny and ME was sent to a naval detention barracks to await a trial.

ME was tried on 15 Nov, along with Ferrers who was facing charges relating to different incidents. Both men were found guilty, although one charged against Ferrers was not proved. On 3 Jan 45, the two men were taken to prison in Stettin but as Ferrers appealed his conviction he was sent to another prison.

Eventually, both men were sent back to Barthe in Mar 45. There were various adventures before they were finally liberated and these are recorded in the book: “Footprints on the Sands of Time”.

Colin Cummings