Thread: Researching Edward Reed Douglass, 218 Squadron, d. 26/06/1942

Thanks

Default Researching Edward Reed Douglass, 218 Squadron, d. 26/06/1942

Hello, I've been reading through the messages on this board and wondered if anyone might have any information on my ancestor Edward Reed Douglass or the squadron he served in WW2.

I have found his details on the War Graves Commission website: http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/232402/DOUGLASS,%20EDWARD%20REED

I'd be interested in any information, especially in terms of what happened on the 26th June 1942. From my reading 218 Squadron were flying the Short Stirling bombers at that time, but I don't know if that was the aircraft Edward Reed Douglass was flying in at the time he died.

Thanks

We have an expert on all matters 218 Sqn on this site and I am sure he will give you a great deal more than I can offer.

However, to get you started: Sgt E R Douglass was flying in Stirling W7503 on a raid against Bremen when the aircraft was attacked by a night fighter flown by Ober Leutnant Ludwig Becker of NJG 2 and the aircraft crashed on the Wieringermeer Polder in Holland.

The crew were:
    P/O B F Ball
    Sgt E R Douglass
    F/S R F Carroll
    Sgt A L Brookes
    Sgt K G Rogers
    and Sgts D V Howes and J F Howes

All were killed but only Sgt Rogers has a known grave.

All this info is from Chorley "Bomber Command Losses"

Colin Cummings