Thread: Cwgc -reorganised site

Thanks

Default Cwgc -reorganised site

I think there was a discussion about this a few weeks or months ? ago ?
    I used to find it relatively easy to search for a casualty and the certificate /cemetery. Now it seems complicated .
    I think I've worked it out but one has to put very little in the search box and click on filter then, when found, to see a cerificate, requires adobe [which I have]

Why the revamp ? Or do others find it improves the site ?
    Perhaps when looking for something other than a casualty or cemetery ithe old site didn't work well ?

Anne

Thanks

Anne,

I think the idea is to provide additional options to increase the ease of availability of the data the CWGC holds.

For example, the option to search countries or cemeteries within a date range.

When looking for a casualty, I now use the advanced search option from the start.

So far I think there is a problem if someone is commemorated on a memorial as there is no grave, the search will show the location of the appropriate memorial, not the country in which the person died/went missing

The one thing I have asked the CWGC to do but without success, is to include the names of all those in their care, not just Commonwealth citizens.

May I suggest you provide the CWGC with any feedback you may have about problems with searching.

Sincerely

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Anne (et al),
    Clearly, there is a requirement for CWGC and 'Geoff's Search Engine' to have their heads either conjoined, or knocked together! The Former has a vast datebase, the Latter has a way of interrogating this. This should not be necessary! CWGC should have absorbed 'Geoff . . ." into their armoury.
    Why did this not occur? Probably because CWGC were alphanumerically orientated, and 'modern' net interrogation techniques were not looked upon as being 'proper'!
    Intellectual (and other!) heads need to knocked together!
    A vast national database needs to be made available to a vast number of national (and international) researchers in a much easier way!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default CWGC & Logging into RAF C

Colin & Peter
    Thanks for your replies .I suppose it's just another thing to get used to ! [like retuning our TV today for digital ] Yes I too use the advanced search but filter works sometimes .I found the old site relatively easy but I was only looking for casualties & cemetries .

I suppose it would be good to be able to look for Polish & Czech names but they are mainly concerned with Commowealth which is natural. Feedback is a good idea

By the way I now have to log in to rafcommands every time I want to post or reply ? This is unusual for me as I only logged in when first registering.

Anne

Thanks

Hi Anne,

The forum needs to have cookies enabled so it knows that the new page has been requested by someone who has already logged in and is not a guest user.

I suggest that your browser has disabled cookies. This setting needs to be amended to allow cookies.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross
    Re "cookies "
    We have a new computer so that's probably the problem
    Anne

Thanks

Dear All
    I have only done a couple of sessions of searches using the new system, and although it is potentially easy to put in too much info on your search request which can throw a spanner in the works, I have found it excellent for searches in a smaller date range, rather than the previous 'year' allowance. This is particularly good if you are searching for Army casualties during the dark days of 1916 -17. Hopefully in time we will all get used to the new system and it will stop my frequent telephone calls to CWGC when the previous system did not allow a certain search. They have certainly put a lot of work into it. In a way though we do not want it to be perfect, otherwise the Govt department responsible will say that it is so efficient the whole thing will be automated and a group of very helpful people in Maidenhead will loose their jobs.
    James

Thanks

James
    I suppose it just a few goes to get used to it
    Anne

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aestorm View Post
    I suppose it would be good to be able to look for Polish & Czech names but they are mainly concerned with Commowealth which is natural. Feedback is a good idea
    You could try this, but the links only worked for a few days after the recent upgrade, but better than nothing.

http://www.hut-six.co.uk/cgi-bin/ntse.php

Thanks

Geoff
    Thank you
    Anne