Thread: S/P L.J. Armstrong, RCAF

Thanks

Default S/P L.J. Armstrong, RCAF

Hi all,

Sergeant Pilot Armstrong R/83422 (401 Squadron) was shot down and captured during the Dieppe Raid (POW number 26804). Though the ORB refers to him as 'L. J. Armstrong' I have not been able to find his full name.

However, I came across an obituary that mentions the passing of Francis Leo Joseph Armstrong on September 25, 2001. According to this article, he had 'joined the RCAF in 1942 serving in England for three years' (http://www.chroniclejournal.com/obituaries/armstrong/francis-leo).

Considering that most ORBs may feature mispelled names, is there a chance that L. J. Armstrong and F. L. J. Armstrong are the same person?

Any help appreciated.

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

TSGNO lists ARMSTRONG, W/O2 L.J. (R/83422) as being from Plainview, Nebraska.

Thanks

Well, just another American in the RCAF. Thanks for these details.

It doesn't match the obituary, which mentions Francis Leo Joseph Armstrong's birthplace as Statton, Ontario.
    Last edited by Fox; 27th February 2012 at 08:27.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Hi all,

Eventually, I have found the man: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pe/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-leo-armstrong&pid=129253361#fbLoggedOut

Leo Joseph Armstrong was born in Plainview, Nebraska in 1914. During WWII, he enlisted in the RCAF (R/83422) and was posted to No. 401 Squadron in England. Shot down at Dieppe, he was captured and remained a POW until the end of the war. He passed away in 2009.

I think he graduated from No. 2 SFTS in December of 1941 and arrived in the UK in January of 1942. There, he must have been posted to No. PRC and then to No. 52 OTU before being posted to No. 401 Squadron. Can anybody confirm this?

Thank you,

Fox.