Thread: P/O N.J. Scott NZ415425 175 Squadron DFC, POW

Thanks

Default P/O N.J. Scott NZ415425 175 Squadron DFC, POW

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to research my father's activities while in the 175 Squadron from August 1943 until he was shot down in September 1944. I have very little information about the 175 Squadron and their activities, I also wanted to try and trace down some photos of this time. I understand the 175 Squadron moved into the 2nd TAF 121 Wing, but that is all I know.

Where can I get more information?

Cheers

Thanks

Hello

The best source about the Squadron's activities is obviously the Squadron Operations Record Book, a copy of which is held in the National Archives in Kew, London, on microfilm. The reference is AIR 27/1110 for the period March 42 to December 43, and /1111 for January 44 to September 45.

You should consult the other threads of the board about the way to purchase a copy of these ORBs, as I suspect you are in New-Zealand ?

No. 121 Wing is is AIR 26/179. I can supply you a copy of the five pages covering September 1944. Not much but there's a mention about your father. I copied it because the Wing was based for a short while at B50 Vitry-en-Artois in northern France, not far from where I live. Contact me at JossLeclercq AT orange.fr if you want me to send you these pages.

Also, it's likely your father filled a PoW report, a copy of which, if it exists, should be in the WO 344 series. I checked my hard disk and although I have a couple of Scotts', I don't have your father's questionnaire.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 27th February 2012 at 07:53. Reason: correcting typo

Thanks

Gayle, Here is his DFC citation from the London Gazette:
    Air Ministry, 20th October, 1944.
    The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the following awards in recognition of gallantry displayed in flying operations against the enemy:
    Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Pilot Officer Nisbet James SCOTT (N.Z.415425), R.N.Z.A.F., 175 Sqn.
    This officer has shown the greatest enthusiasm and determination in the execution of a large number of air operations including attacks on shipping, radar buildings and railway systems. On one occasion he was wounded and his aircraft was badly damaged but he flew to base and made a successful landing.
    Fifth Supplement (LG36756 dated 20 Oct 44) to LG dated 17 Oct 44
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Default Thanks

Hi Joss and Terry, many thanks for that information, I will attempt to get ORB's and you are correct, I am from New Zealand, but live in Australia.

Joss, I will email you privately. I have now got a copy of his log book which is difficult reading for a layman, but it doesn't really have much info in it except for his CO's comment that he baled out on 27th Septembert, 1944! Apparently he got membership of The Caterpillar Club!

Cheers
    Gayle

Thanks

Hello

I'll send you the pages of No. 121 Wing ORB as promised. Indeed he baled out on 27th September 1944, so the event described in the DFC citation should relate to another hairy moment.

I'm waiting for your e-mail. I'll be very close to you in a month, on my way down to New-Zealand, with a technical stop at Melbourne airport, but no tourism in Australia.

Joss

Thanks

Default 175 sqn

Perhaps a little easier to understand than ORB is the four part series on the 2nd Tactical Air Force by Shores and Thomas published by Classic.
    Volume 4 has a large section about the operation of Typhoons during the invasion, 175 Sqn being one of the units using Typhoons in the rocket firing mode. Many photos give very good insight and would you believe at the bottom of page 597 is a photo of a group with a Typhoon including FO Jimmy Scott !!!

Volume One of same..
    16 March 1944
    Wing Commander Charles Green led sweep into France by 174, 175 and 245 sqns operating out of Westhampnett which is now called Goodwood.
    Around 1645 W/O N J Scott damaged by flak south of Etampes. Aircraft and pilot repairable. Typhoon Ib JP397 HH-N. Just before this P/O W Cross of 175 was shot down strafing Villaroche airfield and made POW. Prior to this he shot down a Junkers 88 near Paris. 175 also destroyed a Ju188 on the ground and shot down a Bf 108 target tug. Busy day.

Volume 2
    27 Sept 1944
    Flying Officer N J Scott shot down by flak over Ruhr, Germany, and bailed out. Typhoon Ib MN717 HH-N

Also in volume 2 is a still from an Imperial War Museum Film, IWM FLM 3601, which shows Typhoons of 175 Sqn arriving at B 42 Tille around Sept 1944. Possibly could be obtained from IWM.

These books were published over several years but are reasonably available, especially the latest, volume 4, which has the photos. If you have trouble give a shout and I ll hopefully find one for you. Having a daughter in NZ i fully realise books like this are not easily obtained over there!
    good luck with the ORB
    Peter

Thanks

Default 175 extra bit

More haste, less speed.

2nd TAF volume One has a two page section about the Rodeo operation of 16th March during which your father was wounded. He is mentioned specifically. If you want to contact me direct I will forward. Has photo of the Typhoon of W Cross shot down attacking Villaroche, being recovered by the Germans.
    Peter

Thanks

Hello,

One you won't find in 2ndTAF!

8-9-1943
    No.175 Sqn
    Typhoon IB JP379 HH-N

Engine failed on take-off, wheels-up landing Lydd.

NZ415425 F/Sgt N J SCOTT RNZAF

See:
    The Typhoon & Tempest Story.
    Thomas,Chris & Christopher Shores
    London:Arms & Armour Press,1988
    p.199

Col.

Thanks

I think I have that book lying around somewhere... was that Dad? He told the story that when he first went to 175 from the OTU he crashed his first plane flight!! Went back to S/Ldr sheepishly and was told - "too bad son, get up in another plane right now!" so much for time to compose yourself after an accident...

I will track down the books!

I'm amazed at how quickly everyone has managed to come up with information on Dad that I have spent nearly 12 months searching for... I am so appreciative of it.

Cheers
    Gayle
    Last edited by GayleScott; 1st March 2012 at 07:14.

Thanks

Default 175 Squadron

Hi Gayle,
    I have just spoken to my father, Rusty Townsend, who remembers your father on 175 Sqn. He said he was your fathers wingman on his last flight. Hopefully this wasn't a contributing factor! He followed your father down until he baled out and then saw him land in the backyard of house with chickens flying everywhere, apparently!

Dad stayed on in England after the war, married and had kids. In one of those twists of fate in this era of globalisation, I, his youngest now reside in Australia. I regularly visit him, with one such visit coming up very shortly. I would be happy to talk to him further about your father and see if he has any other recollections. I know he has a few photos of squadron life at the various airfields they were based at. If I find any of your father I will get them copied for you.

Tim