Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battle L5235

Thanks

Default Battle L5235

Hi,

Battle I, L5235, HA-W of the 218 Sqn did not return on 14/5/1940 from operation against pontoon bridges in Sedan area. Pilot belly-landed at Thelonne and was captured, observer/gunner LAC Taylor KIA.
    Does anyone help with a question if the machine was s/d by fighters or by flak ?

Regards,
    Michal

Thanks

Hi Michal
    The "Battle of France-then and now" by Peter Cornwell is not completely certain on L5235 as to what brought it down but says "Believed shot down by Bf109s". There is a photo of this a/c down nr Thelonne. He does connect it's loss as possibly that claimed by Hptm von Janson of 1/Jg53.The crew were taken prisoner but LAC A J Taylor died soon afterwards, the pilot P/O A M Imrie survived as POW.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Dick,

Thanks for the info. Does it some time mentioned when the Squadron t/o or attacked their target(s) ?

Michal

Thanks

Hi Michal
    The only thing it says is that 218 Squadron were involved in attacks on a Bridge at Wadelincourt and against German columns between Bouillon and Givonne, 4a/c at the bridge and 7 against the columns. The records are far from complete and the book cannot say exactly which target L5235 was attacking nor confirm a report that 218 lost 10 of the 11 a/c involved and gives details of only 5 losses. The series of attacks are timed between 3.35 and 4.15 pm
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Michal,

The No.218 (B) Squadron ORB for May 1940 is missing I'm afraid.

Regard

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve and Dick,

Thanks again. I did not check NA archive and the 218 Sqn ORB however believed it is missing too.
    Dick, could you contact me on fairlop AT email.cz address regarding the Battle matter please ?

Regards from snowy Czech republic,
    Michal

Thanks

Michal,

From hand written notes taken while at the PRO in 2001.

No.218 (B) Squadron dispatched 11 aircraft on two seperate targets. Seven crews were ordered to attack a German convoy between Bouillon & Givonne, while four crews were ordered to attack the bridge at Douzy. Ten crews failed to return. Once again from notes taken, the cause I have is light flak & small arms fire.

Pilot Officer Imrie was a native of Southern Rhodesia.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Michal
    Hope the e-mail got through. You might also get some idea of markings on http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark217-221.htm#218. The pictures are paintings but the site, overall, tries hard for accuracy
    Regards
    Dick

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello all,

<a href='http://www.epibreren.com/ww2/raf/218_squadron.html'>218 Squadron</a> losses for this day on the CWGC database and other sources led me to traces of 5 aircraft lost. Yet many sources state that the squadron lost 10 out of 11 planes on 14/05/1940.

Has anybody a clue what happened to the other five 'missing' planes; what were their serial numbers, who formed the crews? What happened to them?

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

Hi Bart
    The confusion about the numbers of Battles lost is shared by Peter Cornwell in "The Battle of France". I can only suggest a search of the Runnymede Memorial for deaths on 14th -16th( and I know how difficult that would be).As an example Cornwell records that no trace of the crew of 226 Sqn Battle P2267 was ever found and they are on Runnymede with a Date of 15/5/40 and there are several instances of crews receiving battlefield burials and being "lost" afterwards at this time.
    Regards
    Dick